HELP PLESE.....is 105 degrees too hot for 5 day old chicks?

craigImb

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Chicks were born on Sunday, shipped to me, I picked them up yesterday. Have them in a large 3 foot x 30 inch brooder in my garage on the floor. I am concerned today because the temps are supposed to reach 105, but the humidity is not oppressive.

should I watch to see if they begin to pant, and if they do should I put them in a cardboard box and bring them inside my house (78 degrees) for a little while to help them cool off?

I have fresh cool water for them, and they are in the shade, just do not know if a 5 day old handles the high temps. I assume since they are featherless they would handle it better than a grown chicken>>>?????

Thanks in advance

Being that young they cannot regulate their body temps well. Maybe freeze a gallon jug of water and place it at one end of their brooder to give them some relief if you can't keep them inside. Of course at 78 degrees they will need an area about 95 to warm up. At that age their temperature range is pretty narrow. After they get about 3 weeks things won't be so critical but the first week is tough. Remember 95 for the first week dropping 5-7 degrees per week till at ambient but don't try to heat the whole brooder, just a small are for them to warm up if chilled. Heat will kill them as fast as too cold.

I moved mine into my house for a few days because of the heat. They're two weeks old, but I'm not interested in cooking my chicks just yet... ;)

I gave them a brooder light to keep them warmer than the 82 degrees I keep the house...

I would LOVE to drop the temp 5 degrees a week until ambient temperature...but that is my problem...the outside temperature is going to be 105 today and at or near 100 the rest of the week. being they are so young, 98-100 would be idea I think. Yesterday they ran and played and ate and drank, and only got under the heat light at night. Last night around 10 PM they were sleepign all over the place but this morning they were under the light.

Being that young they cannot regulate their body temps well. Maybe freeze a gallon jug of water and place it at one end of their brooder to give them some relief if you can't keep them inside. Of course at 78 degrees they will need an area about 95 to warm up. At that age their temperature range is pretty narrow. After they get about 3 weeks things won't be so critical but the first week is tough. Remember 95 for the first week dropping 5-7 degrees per week till at ambient but don't try to heat the whole brooder, just a small are for them to warm up if chilled. Heat will kill them as fast as too cold.
Well said. They will definitely heat stroke quickly.

Back
Top Bottom