Help plz! Pullet sneezing

ourrune

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Palm bay fl
Hi i wrote this under another post in baby section when i was scared my 2 week silkie had the coccidiosis which ended up false i believe. Problem now is my 7/8 week pullet speckled sussex. (2 speckled sussex 1 salmon faverolle all 8 weeks and 2 2 week old silkies) now I just read about the avian flu im freaking out i just got into this last month and im a very paranoid person when it comes to flu and death. I came here to ask what it might be to see the bird flu now my head is spinning.
I wrote this in a long detail to give all possible causes plz help me im at a loss of what to do and my pullets are outside right now and there are many wild birds in the range but not wanting to bring them in now if that is what they have i dont want my toddler or my other 2 kids or my cat to get infected or the two babie chicks.

Sorry it is long!

Hello! Not sure if i should start a new thread for this but since i have your attention here i really need your help! Im very scared for my bird since im so unknowledgable still at this point.

My older speckled sussex, i forget 7 or 8 weeks at this sec, recently that i have noticed has started sneezing.sounds congested.
We have a temp set up since we have been building our coop and run we have kept our girls in a pretty large plywood "box" with what was aspen wood shavings until i ran out and i got pinewood shavings amd added them in. I have only added in a light layer of pine shavings twice and didnt seem to have an issue that i noticed at first. its been quite a few days since we started using it. They have been in my daughters room in that box for now and we used to have chicken wire pulled over top until we used it for the run we are building. i then threw screening over top.sreening came from our garage been sitting there for 3 years or more but its clean. I usually, most days, take them out to a smaller open cage to be outside and enjoy grass etc but before she started sneezing i had left them in the "box" for two days straight with the screening on top and didnt take them outside like normal. Just around same timing of adding the screen before the two days of not letting them out, i started to let the girls roam around the yard from their outside cage to our back porch they like to walk theirselves and explore a bit, they were all around the coop we are building which i was weary of because its under contruction you know, metal wire clippings, nails, roofing tar, paint, etc. So i shooed them from there ,then onto the back porch in my garden of tomatoes plants no tomatoes, cucumber plants, chives, green beans and some non-edible (trying to list all reasons for cause? Sorry to be so long and detailed) then at one time i think she decided she wanted to go back on the porch she jumped onto our patio table and then jumped as high as she could and flew into the screen just flying holding herself there my son caught her before she lost herself. so that shouldnt have turned into an issue? Now we think she could be a boy so not sure that makes a difference?
It has been since night before last she started sneezing that i noticed and its very sporadic and not often it seems. I left the screening off partially last night hoping for better venelation. The baby silkie chicks 2 weeks now are in a smaller tub right next to them. they have not really had any exposure except that i mentioned with me handling them then handling the pullets. What could be wrong? Last night i came in to see her and shes got her head tucked in kinda and is fluffy/fluffed out feathers i could barley tell her apart from my bigger, known to be female whos been full of feathers and tail since day one because shes got herself so tuckered in feathers out walking around in a roosting like position. normally shes the runt skinny barley a tail. And the other two birds were drinking she did not she just sat there watching her sisters all tucked in and when they were done they went over to her nudging her and cleaning her and sleeping next to her.
Our coop is almost done i cant wait to get them out there!!! im so scared she sounds horrible! !! Other birds r fine for now i think.

One thing that bothers me is my hubby got their last bag of food it was 3 months old? Or more. Baby dumor starter/grower food. I know its not supposed to be over a month but i forgot to tell him other day i went myself and the newest bag they had was 3 months old.ever since i gave pullets and chicks things seemed off the baby pooped blood and now lucy is sneezing. But i think that might be all in my head.
Usually in mornings shes cocking her head everywbere they are awake alert amd talkative. The other two birds right at this second i realize are biting themselves a lot its been a while since i have given them sand or garden dirt to dust bath in. But lucy, the sick bird, is just sitting there sleeping doin nothing :( whats wrong and what do i do??

I hear wild birds everywhere someone give me news that i can not panick about! ! Lol

Last edited:
Bump plz help with advice id like personal response and opinions rather than just my research since i have no experience. Her pecking sound has gotten hoarse sounding and sneeze is now more of a cough i am in florida

Last edited:
I recommend that you purchase Corid 9.6% liquid solution at a feed store and give it to your birds. Dosage is 9.5ml per gallon of water for 5 days. Make the mixture fresh each day, do not add anything else to the mixture and it must be their sole source of treated water to drink. The corid will be located in the cattle section at your feed store.
Also inspect all your birds for external parasites, lice and mites.

Thank you very much! Is the corid only for the coccidiosis? Do they cough like that with that disease? I was feeling their feathers today and i noticed some stuff that just seemed off but im not sure. What do i do if i find any kind of external parasites? I added a thing of play sand when they were outside today and they had some fun with that but not sure if it was of any help. Thanks for your time and advice

Back
Top Bottom