HELP PLZ!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ingv8700, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    I have a chicken that is Broody and she has been broody for a good month now and we can not get her to stop being broody we have go to the extent of taking her out of her bucket shutting the coop door and letting her be outside and walk around.

But when we take her out of the bucket her legs are pale and white looking. and her comb is a little but discolored is this because she has not been out side to get some sun. or is she sick and what should I do about it???

THANKS
    KYLE

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Being broody is very hard on a chicken. She probably needs more protein - boiled eggs are good and canned corn too. She needs to be penned in an area where she has no nesting materials, and that will help break her broodiness. Well, it worked with mine anyways!

3. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    it has been said to stop a broody chicken place her away from her nest and place her on a raised wire platform so the air can circulate under her. This has helped people to break the broody habit of there chickens.

4. ingv8700

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    Thanks we will have to do that penning her up in a new area.

5. ingv8700

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    does the protien give her the color back in her legs and her comb?

6. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Protein won't restore the color in her legs. Corn will. The substance that makes corn yellow will also color her legs and beak yellow. The protein will help to restore the muscles and body tissue that she has burned while being broody. Give her a good quality chick grower for a couple weeks, and also supplement her with a bit of cat food. She will recover quickly, and be back to laying eggs in about 5-6 weeks. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by