Help...poop bright orange

NoelleBell31

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
I noticed this bright orange poop today in the brooder. I looked at the poop chart but this strange color is not listed. What do you think?

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
That looks like coccidiosis. Are any looking lethargic or puffed up? How old are your chicks? I would get some Corid, Ampromed, or Amprollium liquid or powder from the cattle section of your feed store, and start it. Dose is 2 tsp liquid or 1.5 tsp powder in 1 gallon of water. Treat all chicks for 5 days, and if any are still sick, 7 days. Give vitamins and probiotics after completion of treatment. Then you may want to repeat Corid in 3 weeks with 1/3 of the dosage in the water for another 5 days just for prevention. Here is some info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited:

NoelleBell31

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
Oh no! I have 3 that are 6 1/2 weeks old and I have 2 that are four weeks. The 2 brooders are separated by netting so they can see eachother and I take all five out together for socialization. I didn't notice any of that color poop since that one time this morning. All are eating great and drinking fine. And they are on medicated food. I have not had the best of luck so far. The second batch of chicks who are now 4 weeks I lost two. The one silkie I brought home cried and cried and passed away within 3 days. Then my silver laced died at 3 weeks from an impacted crop. But now I'm wondering if it was cocci? This has been so frustrating and I thought I bought the girls from a reputable breeder. I don't want to loose another one! Wouldn't they be pooping that color more often if they were infected?

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
You can watch them for signs of becoming sick. Watch for more orange to red poops. They can normally pass a little intestinal shed now and then. Any lethargy or puffing up, and I would treat them. Get the Corid and keep it on the shelf just in case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom