Help! Poop issues!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by misspoppins, Mar 11, 2009.

1. misspoppins

misspoppins Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Sorry if this is TMI, but:

Some of my chick's droppings are very wet and slimy (YUCK) and some of them are normal-firmish. So I'm wondering...what is normal? Is this supposed to be happening or is there something wrong with my chicks? Is there something I can feed them to fix this? All they eat right now is their feed and water...no grit, no other supplements.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like you have . . . normal stinky chicks.

Just wait until they are full-grown stinky chickens. [​IMG]

Each day a chicken will emit caecal poo - - soft, toffee-ish, extremely smelly waste from the caecum, the blind pouch(es) off the intestine. Gross but harmless. Enjoy.

3. JudyH

JudyH Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Gulf Coast of Alabama
    Well, from what I've read here, the "poo" is kinda how you can tell your chicks and chickens are doing.

But, I have to say, one thing that I noticed. For the first week, when I would handle one of the chicks (of course it would be nervous) and then I would put it back down into the brooder box, it would poo and the poo wouldn't look like normal poo. It would be more runny and wet. I kinda think that mine has nervous stomach LOL

4. JudyH

JudyH Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Gulf Coast of Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG] Yep, that was what mine looked like! Undoubtedly, my chicks emitted this when they were nervous LOL

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  6. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Thanks!!! That sight was super helpful!!! Now maybe I can stop worrying so much![​IMG] I do have healthy chickens after all![​IMG][​IMG]

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep, as long as you're getting a reasonable amount of "normal" poos in there (reasonably solid brownish-green with the white cap), I would not worry about the runny ones. When I let my little ones out to play, we inevitably have some runnies in all the excitement of being out . . . *sigh*

8. misspoppins

misspoppins Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Thanks guys! Very helpful!!

I'm glad to know everything is normal! And thanks for the link. [​IMG]

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Thanks for the post I was having the same thing. Always when i tried to play with them . Saved me a post:D

10. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Speaking of poop...lol, my baby chicks are 5 days old now and seem very healthy. All of them are eating and drinking, however a few of them have poop stuck on their little fluff, when i try to hold them and pull it off they squak their heads off and i get the same results when trying to use warm water to get it off. Is there an easier method? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by