Help! Poop issues!

misspoppins

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Alabama
Sorry if this is TMI, but:

Some of my chick's droppings are very wet and slimy (YUCK) and some of them are normal-firmish. So I'm wondering...what is normal? Is this supposed to be happening or is there something wrong with my chicks? Is there something I can feed them to fix this? All they eat right now is their feed and water...no grit, no other supplements.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Sounds like you have . . . normal stinky chicks.

Just wait until they are full-grown stinky chickens.
wink.png

Each day a chicken will emit caecal poo - - soft, toffee-ish, extremely smelly waste from the caecum, the blind pouch(es) off the intestine. Gross but harmless. Enjoy.

Well, from what I've read here, the "poo" is kinda how you can tell your chicks and chickens are doing.

But, I have to say, one thing that I noticed. For the first week, when I would handle one of the chicks (of course it would be nervous) and then I would put it back down into the brooder box, it would poo and the poo wouldn't look like normal poo. It would be more runny and wet. I kinda think that mine has nervous stomach LOL

Yep, as long as you're getting a reasonable amount of "normal" poos in there (reasonably solid brownish-green with the white cap), I would not worry about the runny ones. When I let my little ones out to play, we inevitably have some runnies in all the excitement of being out . . . *sigh*

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Very helpful!!

I'm glad to know everything is normal! And thanks for the link.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Speaking of poop...lol, my baby chicks are 5 days old now and seem very healthy. All of them are eating and drinking, however a few of them have poop stuck on their little fluff, when i try to hold them and pull it off they squak their heads off and i get the same results when trying to use warm water to get it off. Is there an easier method?
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom