help, possible egg bound easter egger

PrincessKristin

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
Happily married in Texas :)
I was wondering how long could my hen hold onto a egg? She has not laid in about a week and I can feel the egg in her tummy but she has not passed it.she walks like she is constipated. She is a easter egger and I understand they do not lay as often but I am very worried about her. I have her in the "hospital" cage inside the coop seems how Butha, my huge orp buff was pecking at Hedwig's mouth this morning ( my ee) so is it normal for a ee to hold their eggs that long? Also it feels like it is sideways in her belly, will it straiten out on its own when she is ready to? I have read about the warm baths and a warm place to rest I will do that after work this evening.
thanks,
Kristin " worried"

If she doesn't pass the egg, she will die. Do some research on egg binding and see what you can do for her. I have used the steam method combined with OB lube. It's important to reduce their feed so that they will stop producing eggs.

I was wondering how long could my hen hold onto a egg? She has not laid in about a week and I can feel the egg in her tummy but she has not passed it.she walks like she is constipated. She is a easter egger and I understand they do not lay as often but I am very worried about her. I have her in the "hospital" cage inside the coop seems how Butha, my huge orp buff was pecking at Hedwig's mouth this morning ( my ee) so is it normal for a ee to hold their eggs that long? Also it feels like it is sideways in her belly, will it straiten out on its own when she is ready to? I have read about the warm baths and a warm place to rest I will do that after work this evening.
thanks,
Kristin " worried"

Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. The warm water will relax her and expand her innards, massaging her will help the egg move along. Then hopefully she'll lay the egg. Repeat as necessary. You can also put a little olive oil just inside her vent to make it easier for her to lay the egg.

Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. The warm water will relax her and expand her innards, massaging her will help the egg move along. Then hopefully she'll lay the egg. Repeat as necessary. You can also put a little olive oil just inside her vent to make it easier for her to lay the egg.
The warm bath will help, but you will need to dry her when done. Keeping her in a warm place and away from other chickens would be best. Personally, I wouldn't use olive oil unless I didn't have any KY Jelly or OB Lube.

Thank you everyone I am going strait home after work and help her try to lay her egg. I can bath her and lube her vent and keep her warm and quite in our bathroom tonight. I wonder how long is to long for a EE to hold a egg in. Does it sound like she IS egg bond? She is not as active as she useally is also. :( she is a beauty lays the most pretty blue green eggs and has only been laying for about a month 1/2 now tops.

Thank you everyone I am going strait home after work and help her try to lay her egg. I can bath her and lube her vent and keep her warm and quite in our bathroom tonight. I wonder how long is to long for a EE to hold a egg in. Does it sound like she IS egg bond? She is not as active as she useally is also.
sad.png
she is a beauty lays the most pretty blue green eggs and has only been laying for about a month 1/2 now tops.
Your hen does sound like she is egg bound. I've only had to do two... One was a duck and she lived in my bathroom for about two weeks, but she had also prolapsed and had not one, but four eggs get stuck. She got the whole treatment, steam, warm baths, lube and Prep-H. The second was an Old English and she was only in the bathroom for a few days. She only required steam and lube.

Is there anyway you could set up a heat lamp for her? Also, if you're considering the steam method in addition to the warm bath, I have found that it really helps to set the water heater to high before filling the room with steam.

Back
Top Bottom