HELP! Possible EYP and need to know how long to wait before taking a new antibiotic

JasminePisapia

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
Hi everyone!
I NEED HELP/a ADVICE!

Does anyone know how long I need to wait inbetween giving my girl a new antibiotic (Baytril) after giving her 10 days of her first antibiotic that didn’t work? (sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim)

Sorry for the long post, BUT......
I seem to be having an issue with one of my girls suspected EYP and may have the same issue with another, both New Hampshire Reds, 8 months.. 😔 The one who is sick now is the top hen and pecks the other girl’s when they eat, so she is reasonably overweight... A few weeks ago she fell of the roost( we have an off ground coop) so there’s a ladder to get into the house, but once inside the girls just flew to their spots) She stopped flying up so we thought that she may have hurt herself which was why she wasn’t flying, so I had to build her a ladder to get up. She was also the top layer then she just stopped consistently laying but would lay in stints. Shes been acting lazy the last few weeks, but still eating like crazy and running around. so I just chalked it up to being fat... I started feeding her on her own to limit the bullying and over eating then I got a shell-less egg and small little lash eggs..... BUT, I was 99% positive it came from another hen, due to some investigation going through our camera footage. So another fellow chicken mama here in my city suggested I start sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim 1/4 a pill 2x a day for 10 days, but since I wasn’t too sure who was the culprit, I started treated the 2 likely hens.... Well, this last Sunday my hubby said she looked really fat and scrunched but, again, I just chalked it up to being fat.... That night she fell of the roost again and Monday she started normal, but quickly digressed, I though she was egg bound, felt the egg, then it was gone and she started pooping yellow yolk like fluid...Lethargic ever since. She’s been bouncing back and forth from being better than she looks bad again. She is minimally eating and drinking on her own and I’m force feeding her a grain/herb mix to make sure she’s getting nutrients before I give her the pills. I let her out to forage and she does it for a minute or so, then sits back down. HOWEVER, today she is a little more active and hanging with her sisters free-ranging, But still having green-ish soft poop sign yellow. (I’ll post most recent poop pic)

Besides being treated with sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim, (today is the last day) she is also getting:
  • Oregano oil (1-2) drops diluted into mouth (3x)
  • Liquid calcium (1ml 3x)
  • Nutri-Drench (1ml plus water) 3x
  • Food balls 2x
  • Colloidal silver 2x 1/2 mL

I haven’t seen much progress and I’m worried, but willing to try the baytril bc every thread points to it, I just want to know why it’s banned, If I can start right away after the last antibiotics, and what to do after I use it, ie withdrawal period, extra probiotic/dosage?

AND to top it off today the hen I originally thought laid the lash egg, laid a soft shell egg tooand yesterday a hard shell egg with no pigment.....
I just don’t want her to internal lay or get EYP too.....

*side note, a vet visit won’t be possible due to not having one close enough or being able to afford it right now.
HELP! I want to do all I can to save her/them and I’m going to order the baytril now anyways, to have it ready...

Thank you for any help or advice you have!

It sounds like your chicken is having oviduct problems, laying soft eggs and has had one or more break inside. This may be impacted oviduct or salpingitis. Passing shell-less eggs can make them feel very weak and lethargic untill they pass it. I would get some human calcium tablets with D3 and give half a tablet daily for 3-5 days to see if her eggs become hard shelled and more regular. You can also use Tums with a little egg yolk for vitamin D. She may be feeling better today, but if she has another egg coming, she might feel worse again.

The reason Baytril (enrofloxacin) was banned for chickens was to help prevent antibiotic resistant bacteria especially, campylobacter. Some vets do prescribe Baytril for certain bacteria. If you use the 10% liquid the dosage is 0.05 ml (0.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken) given orally twice a day for 5 days. Here is a link for it:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/

It sounds like your chicken is having oviduct problems, laying soft eggs and has had one or more break inside. This may be impacted oviduct or salpingitis. Passing shell-less eggs can make them feel very weak and lethargic untill they pass it. I would get some human calcium tablets with D3 and give half a tablet daily for 3-5 days to see if her eggs become hard shelled and more regular. You can also use Tums with a little egg yolk for vitamin D. She may be feeling better today, but if she has another egg coming, she might feel worse again.

The reason Baytril (enrofloxacin) was banned for chickens was to help prevent antibiotic resistant bacteria especially, campylobacter. Some vets do prescribe Baytril for certain bacteria. If you use the 10% liquid the dosage is 0.05 ml (0.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken) given orally twice a day for 5 days. Here is a link for it:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/
Thank you!

So far today she is a bit better, the other one who I think May also have issues is acting completely normal.

I let her out with her sisters and was going to collect her to sleep in the chicken infirmary, but she climbed up the coop, so I’m hoping that’s a good sign.

I am waiting on the Baytril in the mail, but today I have administered:

Probiotics and probiotics
(her last dose of Sulphamethazole was yesterday)
1ml Nutridrench 4x daily
1 dropper of Oregano oil diluted in water 4x daily
1 dropper CS 45ppm 4x daily
16c pill Kali phos 4x daily
2ml Lily of the desert 2x daily

I did not add any calcium today, I have liquid calcium gluconate and Tums, should I go give some to them now while they’re roosting? If so, which one and how much? I fed her food balls mixed with raw egg for dinned, big I can give more.

C8A40262-7154-46B9-B129-876D9C637182.jpeg

The yellow urates in the poop may be a sign of a liver problem. That can be associated with fatty liver disease, egg yolk peritonitis, or cancer. Is this from the one that looks big and poofy? Can you get her drinking some water?

Back
Top Bottom