Help possible infection and soft eggs stuck

Tracalina

In the Brooder
May 2, 2021
Good morning - the past 3 weeks I have had two chickens with possibly gleet
The first one ended up with prolapsed vent along with infection and I put her down because I didn’t know what was going on.
I now have a second chicken with the same poopy butt issues and back and forth gets better then it comes back.
The condition however has got worse as she started laying super this soft eggs and then started oozing yellow discharge and then clear discharge. I have her in a crate and separated from flock. Two days ago I gave her a bath and a piece of what looked like straw but I know it was soft egg was stuck inside her - I bathed her and gently pulled it out as much as I could and cut it with scissors
Next day I talked to farm store employee and she recommended antibiotics so last night I gave her a shot of .75 penicillin ans I have been putting anti fungal cream on vent - she is drinking but barely eating
This am she seems perkier but later a weird soft egg
I am
Wondering if an infection like gleet is causing this or is a soft egg stuck inside her? I am going to give her a bath this am and put topical on again
I have tried everything- she has vitamins and electrolytes in her water and has calcium in her diet via oyster shell and feed with calcium
I don’t want to lose her
Attach is picture of today’s weird egg
Hoping she passed this and maybe will start to heal?

Attachments

• 34D0D288-0BEA-4F33-AAF4-84B44C012873.jpeg
    34D0D288-0BEA-4F33-AAF4-84B44C012873.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 12
  • D2D7ABF0-051E-4844-8C08-D2E764020D76.jpeg
    D2D7ABF0-051E-4844-8C08-D2E764020D76.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 8
I can’t tell if that is part of an egg or perhaps lash egg material from an infection of her oviduct. The antibiotics may or may not help. If you could find amoxicillin (called Fish Mox) in a feed store or online from fish stores, that might be better. Enrofloxacin 10% liquid, an even better antibiotic, may be purchased online for pigeons. It is banned for chickens, but some vets will prescribe it for reproductive infections. Dosage is 0.25 ml twice daily orally for 5 days. Do not eat eggs until 14 days after treatment.

I'm sorry about your hen. I'm new to chicken health but I do know that when it comes to antibiotics it's really important to stick to a specific and consistent dosage for a number of days. So I'd really try to make sure the medicine fits the ailment and then stick with the plan. I wish I knew more. I hope she gets better!

Back
Top Bottom