Help! Possible Prolapse?

GardenTeacher

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 14, 2014
My chickens started laying eggs less than a week ago. Today I happened to be in the coop when one of our lovely ladies (an easter egger) was laying. She turned her body so that I had a direct view of her vent. The vent was bright bloody red and clearly slightly prolapsed. I watched the egg emerge and drop and the prolapsed intensified (more came out, it was even darker red) and it took a few seconds for the vent to return to normal.

Is a little prolapse normal? What can I do? Push it back in with a Vaselined finger? How do I train her vent to retract normally? Gah, I am so worried about my girl! Any help is GREATLY appreciated, folks.

Gently clean the vent. If any poop is stuck you may have to remove it manually. You can apply Vetericyn. Its a wound spray. You can use a little bit of preparation H without painkiller on the vent and put it back in place. Then you need to quarantine your hen to dark area for 24 hrs to discourage egg laying. Give her vitamins and electrolytes. You may also consider antibiotics if it looks like the other chickens have been pecking at the area. Some people use bandages or diapers if the vent won't stay in place but I don't know how to do that. Then keep an eye on her because prolapse can reoccur. Hope this helps and that your hen gets to feeling better.

The vent is going back in by itself after she lays. Should I just spray her vent region? Nobody is pecking her vent that I've seen. I am thinking about soaking her bottom half in warm water from what I've been reading online. Should I add epsom salts to that water? I'm just worried that I might be unnecessarily stressing her out for something that isn't that bad....?

Maybe just clean the area good and definitely put her in the dark for 24 hrs to discourage the egg laying. It will give the vent some time to recover. Then keep an eye on her for future problems. I wouldn't do too much and stress her out if it doesn't seem necessary.

Back
Top Bottom