Help!?! Possible twins.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CherriesBrood, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Thistledewfarm

Thistledewfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    Following just cause I wanna know if it's twins lol

2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Me too! I don't want to candle, because I have some other eggs that have problems, but I'm waiting to see if Amy thinks it's okay.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Keep in mind that you are talking to a hatcher that is constantly opening the bator during hatching. I am NOT a hands off hatcher. I have a much different philosophy and my own theories. The first pic you shared on the thread shows condensation on the side of the bator. That tells me that your humidity is high enough if you have to open. When opening keep a wet balled up paper towel handy and quickly pull out the egg and leave the paper towel in there. This will help replace any loss in humidity. Candle, make your decisions and if you want you can put a little neosporin (w/o pain relief), bacitracin or petrolium (vaseline) on the exposed pip before you put it back in the bator and this will keep that pip from drying out from having it out in the air.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. CherriesBrood

Great, thanks Amy!

5. CherriesBrood

Hey @AmyLynn2374 I have a bit of a problem. It looks like a chick is trying to zip form that whole in the possible twin egg, and they are zipping the wrong way. Instead of around the air cell it's doing it like from the half of the egg! :eek: I don't know if I should mess with it. :/

6. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X2

7. CherriesBrood

It looks like it has stopped, none of the shell has fallen off ,there is just a big crack on half of the top end of the egg. Any thoughts again? Sorry to keep bothering you about this, I have just never dealt with this situation before, and you seem to be the only one who can offer advice and help. Thanks for your time. :)

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If it is actually zipping wait and see if it zips all the way. It will zip from where the pip is around the egg. If it starts zipping and stops and doesn't progress for more than half an hour, I would assist.

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Can you get a pic of what it looks like now?

10. CherriesBrood

Yes here it is. Sorry for bad quality it's really hard to get to and see because it got pushed in the back of the bator.

[​IMG]

It was making the crack larger for about 15min. but it has stopped now for about 20.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by