Help! Possibly a crop issue???!

lancasterflock

Songster
8 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
Hello! I am so new to treating chickens for things. But I tried to do the research here but can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. I have a GLW that is due to be laying anytime. I noticed when I counted the flock earlier in the day she was missing. Well I searched the large run we have and found her underneath the coop. She’s been sitting there the majority of the day. I finally was able to coax her out and grab her to examine. I first checked for an egg bound issue. Like I said, I’m new to this, so I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for but I felt no eggs, her bottom feathers were clean, no sign of diarrhea. I then checked her crop and started rubbing. Well all of this whitish liquid starting pouring out of her mouth so I kinda held her upside down so she wouldn’t choke on the liquid coming out. I did see a sunflower seed come up in the liquid. There was quiet a bit. My question is, what do I do from here? Was that just liquid from the day? Is it an impacted crop? Should I be searching for other things??? I’m so worried about her! 😭😭😭

Hello! I am so new to treating chickens for things. But I tried to do the research here but can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. I have a GLW that is due to be laying anytime. I noticed when I counted the flock earlier in the day she was missing. Well I searched the large run we have and found her underneath the coop. She’s been sitting there the majority of the day. I finally was able to coax her out and grab her to examine. I first checked for an egg bound issue. Like I said, I’m new to this, so I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for but I felt no eggs, her bottom feathers were clean, no sign of diarrhea. I then checked her crop and started rubbing. Well all of this whitish liquid starting pouring out of her mouth so I kinda held her upside down so she wouldn’t choke on the liquid coming out. I did see a sunflower seed come up in the liquid. There was quiet a bit. My question is, what do I do from here? Was that just liquid from the day? Is it an impacted crop? Should I be searching for other things??? I’m so worried about her! 😭😭😭
Please give this article a read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I had a pullet with an impacted crop. I caught it early because I noticed the mainly liquid poop on the poop board and was able to zero in on her before it got too bad. It still took three days of treatment to clear her crop.
It sounds like you may be dealing with the same issue.
I would first isolate your bird into a small crate and offer her nothing but fresh clean water. Read the article and tackle the problem from there. You may need some stimulant free laxative, mineral oil, veggie based baby food and a syringe. If you are comfortable tubing her, that will help with the treatments as you need to give her a lot of water during the treatments to help get things moving. Good luck with her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I had a pullet with an impacted crop. I caught it early because I noticed the mainly liquid poop on the poop board and was able to zero in on her before it got too bad. It still took three days of treatment to clear her crop.
I would first isolate your bird into a small crate and offer her nothing but fresh clean water. Read the article and tackle the problem from there. You may need some stimulant free laxative, mineral oil, veggie based baby food and a syringe. If you are comfortable tubing her, that will help with the treatments as you need to give her a lot of water during the treatments to help get things moving. Good luck with her.

Sorry for my late reply! My morning was filled with trying to diagnose what was going on with her. I did what you said and isolated her. Kept a close watch. I decided upon further reading to just check her for being egg bound with the gloved lubed finger in her oviduct. Well, no egg whatsoever. I with held food and water most of the morning. When I went back to check on her she was up in the cage scratching around for food. I felt her crop and it didn’t feel weird. I just got a hunch I should just TRY some corrid and electrolytes and vitamins. Well I did. Within two hours after this she was scratching around all over the cage for food, no longer puffed up, eyes brightened up and she was clucking like her normal self. So I fed her and she lapped up her food and continued to drink the medicated water. I ended up returning her to the coop and run and she was no longer Hiding off by herself, but acting just like her normal self! So I’m not exactly sure what happened but the corrid and vitamins and electrolytes worked! Thank you for your reply! You helped ease my mind in a time of distress! ❤️🙏

Wanted to also mention, as a precaution I am treating the entire flock with corrid and vitamin/electrolytes. There is no egg withdrawal period for my girls who are laying so that’s always nice! 🥚 🍳

Back
Top Bottom