Help!!! Potential cocci along with sour crop

Sampet

Hatching
Jan 16, 2021
Hi I recently had an outbreak of what I think to be cocci and sour crop. I don’t know what they ate that caused this but we’ve already lost two of the five chickens in our outdoor flock (we have one house chicken she is upstairs sick chickens are downstairs). I have one bird that appears to have both cocci and sour crop. One that appears fine and one that just has cocci. My question is how do I treat the one with both sour crop and cocci? My house is completely full of chickens and I’m absolutely terrified. We just recently got new chicks too (so that our house chicken would have a less aggressive flock to potentially be with and I don’t know what to do. Should I give the one that isn’t sickens the house chicken a preventative dose of corrid? And what about the chicks?

What is the age of the sick chickens?
Don't assume coccidiosis in adult chickens, it almost never happens.
Coccidia is everywhere, there are just different species from place to place.
Losing two chickens in short order is time to find out what is wrong. That requires a necropsy and lab work to identify the malady at your state poultry lab.
What state are you in?

You can treat the chicks if you want but keeping feeders at least half full and bedding bone dry doesn't make coccidiosis an issue.

What is the age of the sick chickens?
Don't assume coccidiosis in adult chickens, it almost never happens.
Coccidia is everywhere, there are just different species from place to place.
Losing two chickens in short order is time to find out what is wrong. That requires a necropsy and lab work to identify the malady at your state poultry lab.
What state are you in?

You can treat the chicks if you want but keeping feeders at least half full and bedding bone dry doesn't make coccidiosis an issue.
I live in Portsmouth Virginia. Our area doesn’t have a chicken vet. I think their run might have gotten damp (our makeshift roof isn’t working properly) if it isn’t cocci what might it be? One has bloody stool and a pale comb. The other one is less pale and lethargic but has sour crop. I’m thinking they might have drank some muddy water or wet feed on the floor of the run. I’ll probably call the vet and see if I can get a fecal testing. The vet I go to isn’t very well experienced with chickens but I’m sure they’ll be capable of at least doing the poop testing. Is there anything I can do for my girl with the sour crop?

How old are the birds in question?
The DelMarVa region has one of the biggest concentrations of chickens in the world but all the chicken vets there work for commercial enterprises.
Your poultry labs are:

VDACS Harrisonburg Regional Animal Health Laboratory
261 Mt. Clinton Pike
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22802-2551
Phone: 540-209-9130

Virginia Virginia Tech Animal Laboratory Services
(Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services)
245 Duckpond Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Phone: 540-231-4924

They’re not even a year old about 10 months and they’re our first flock. They perked up a little. I started putting electrolytes, oregano, garlic cloves and nutridrench in their water. Gave them some scrambled eggs and they ate that right up. The house chicken got a little jealous when they were upstairs getting a bath😂 I’m going to do a deep clean of the run tomorrow along with washing the inside of the coop. Trying to stay positive but honestly I’m quite depressed. Any recommendations on essentials for a chicken med kit would definitely be appreciated. I’ll definitely be calling my vet tomorrow and seeing if they can do anything. Thank you everyone for your help❤️

Back
Top Bottom