HELP - Predator attacked my Polish chicken (PIC - Graphic)

Dev

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Hi. One of my Polish chickens (15 wks old) was attacked this morning by something. From the looks of the wound we are thinking it may have been a chicken hawk or ravens that are in the area this morning. I later seen two large black birds which I am assuming are ravens due to being large (I guess they could be crows, not sure), land in the round pen by the chicken coop and run after the attach had happened and I see they are again sitting on the round pen rails as I write this. I let my chickens out every morning to free range in a larger fenced in area that is not covered.

The left side of the face of my chicken is missing, see picture. I don't know how long he laid wounded but it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes from my letting the chickens out to when my husband came in to tell me he found the chicken attacked. He is still breathing but is pretty still other than an occasional movement when I laid him down in the bin I placed him in, his head just flops if it is not held, so he is pretty bad, I think. I put a heat lamp over him for a little while because his legs were really cold but because it is in the 80's on our enclosed porch I have turned it off and just have him covered with a towel. He is laying on a bed of Bermuda hay in a plastic bin. I sprayed his wound with Vetericyn (http://www.vetericyn.com/) which was like a miracle medicine when one of my horses had a badly infected eye with thick white puss covering his eye, applying the Vetericyn a few times that day and his eye was almost completely well the next day and my other horse had rain rot which is very hard to get rid of and takes a while to get rid of, I applied Vetericyn and it went away within one week. So I figure it couldn't hurt to try this on my chicken since it doesn't hurt to get in the eye or to ingest it. I am using a syringe to give him a little sugar water and I can see he swallows some of it, I am only putting a drop at a time because even though he swallows it sounds like he is having a difficult time breathing while swallowing as he makes a few gurgling noises. It looks like there are two bones from his jaw area sticking out but his throat seems to be intact. It looks as if something just pulled the skin and little meat that is there on the head off maybe in one pull. He also have a small wound in the middle of his back like a peck wound. I also treated it with Vetericyn. He appears to be breathing normally, not fast or hard.

Is there anything else I can do to help him? How am I going to get him to eat anything to keep his strength up when just drinking drips of water seems to be difficult for him although he can do it, it appears?

Please, any help will be appreciated.

55231_p7120006.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I'm sorry this happened to the poor guy! I just posted on another thread about giving an animal a chance, but in this case, I am too worried about infection into the brain tissue that would cause septicemia. Please put him down. He's suffering. The eye is still there, but the amount of damage with no lid tissue top or bottom is going to make this virtually impossible to heal. Not to mention it looks like his ear canal may be compromised as well along with the eye. I studied your photo, and without extreme luck, tissue grafts and drainage plugs, I don't think it's possible to save him. He may very well have suffered brain damage. And lastly, it you were able to close the wound, there is the other issue of swelling on the brain.

No other option but to put him down. Say a prayer for him for me too. This is heartbreaking, and he's not even mine!

Read more of your post. He's cold because he's in shock. That's why he's so calm. It's likely the shock will kill him. That's a tremendous amount of trauma to a very delicate area. It's not like a deep tissue wound that time can regenerate new tissue, it's skin over bone over the brain. It's possible something got him down, and the ravens caused his head damage. They can be nasty and opportunistic buggers.

Last edited:
Wow... I, too, am a promoter of giving every living thing a chance... but, that said, I'm not sure you can do much for this bad an injury... do what you feel is best and let us know. I'm so sorry.
dmb/mm

I always totally disagree with putting an animal down and trying to keep it alive, but I really think you should put him out of his misery. No animal should ever have to suffer that much pain and it would be the right thing to do. Im so sorry for you and your chicken.
hugs.gif

My chicken passed away. I couldn't put him down, I just couldn't do it, but I kept him as comfortable as I possible could until he passed. He was a favorite and one of my babies that we carried around.

Now I am scared to let my chickens, geese and turkeys out to forage.

Oh My Gosh ! I'm sooo sorry ! He looks like he was a beautiful bird -

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom