Help! Premie chicks?!

pluckypecker

Chirping
Sep 15, 2009
I have two chicks that have hatched.. and the first had not absorbed the rest of its yolk... i was worried about what would happen when it floundered around, so i cut it off and made a gauze diaper with neosporin to help it heal a bit.. so far that chick seems to be doing well, i've also been feeding it some sugar water and it's pretty peppy.

however the second chick hatched out without any yolk, but when i got home from work, there was blood everywhere! I looked at it's navel and saw what looks like intestines outside of it's body!!!

what IS this?? will it recede into the body? is the chick doomed?? i made a kinda gauze diaper for this one too...

have anyone else experienced this?? and what is that that's outside of his body?

I don't know about the second chick, but you shouldn't have cut the yolk off of the first.

I had one just hatch the other day with the yolk outside. I left it in the incubator and after 24 hours the yolk was absorbed.

sad.png
Sorry about your babies. I'm sure someone here can help.

well yeah, a few hours ago i resented cutting off the yolk, but it was stuck to the bottom of the incubator and the baby was stepping on it and it was pulling out it's insides. . . i didn't know what else to do.

well for anyone who cares, the poor guy died. I didn't know what to do, but i found from another website that it was probably a bacterial infection and now all my eggs are goners. :'(

So sorry to hear this!!

I'm sure it's hard after all that time to loss everything you've been working on. I've never hatched any yet but I can only imagine!!

hugs.gif

Missi

Don't take the others out yet. You could still have others hatch. It could have been from temps being to high as Katy had stated. check your humidity and you may want to get another thermometer. I have three in my incubator, they can go off the right temp once in a while if they have a battery.
fl.gif

Quote:
This indeed sounds like the temps were too high. It can affect some chicks and not others (depending on location in the bator), so hang in there and hopefully others will be fine.

Sorry to hear that. I know it must be hard, but try not to beat up on yourself too much. You did the best you could at the time. I am sending you good luck vibes for the rest of the babies.

I am sorry, we just had one hatch that had a belly as big as the egg, and you could see through the belly. It died. I felt pretty crappy, this is the part that really sucks.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom