Help Pricing Hens Please

ObiBlaze

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2024
I’m asking in hopes someone is at least relatively in my area or has a little more insight for me.

I got my quails and hoped to sell eggs, so I got a bunch of hatching eggs to hatch in hopes of Hens to lay. We’ll, I never thought about people wanting to buy my live birds lol I have a gent who wants 6 hens and I know location, type and Celadon seem to be important.

I will be swing him 7 week old, Red Celadon (some tuxedo, some standard red variants) potentially Jumbo hens.

Should I take this into consideration with pricing? As far as I know, I’m “the only game in town” for quails and eggs without driving 40 mins in one direction out the highway.

Please and Thank You for any help.

Whereabouts are you located? That might be a factor in price.

I've typically spent about $5 per bird, but I'm also a huge cheapskate and prefer hatching eggs as they're cheaper. I've seen people selling them for up to $15 per hen, usually for celadon layers.

Whereabouts are you located? That might be a factor in price.

I've typically spent about $5 per bird, but I'm also a huge cheapskate and prefer hatching eggs as they're cheaper. I've seen people selling them for up to $15 per hen, usually for celadon layers.
My apologies, I meant to include that. I am just outside of York, Pa. If the gent buys the reds he is interested in, they are celadon layers. I also hatched these eggs, so should I take that into account do you think?

My apologies, I meant to include that. I am just outside of York, Pa. If the gent buys the reds he is interested in, they are celadon layers. I also hatched these eggs, so should I take that into account do you think?
I haven't really seen that be a factor since, well, he'll be getting the same kind of birds whether you bought them or raised them.

Price really depends on where you are. Some of the factors to take into account are:
  • How much they cost you to hatch (think electricity, incubator, thermometers, etc)
  • How much they cost you to feed up to selling time
  • How much time you spent raising them
  • Location - how much do people in your area spend? This can vary a LOT
  • Rarity - how common are they in your area? The more common, the cheaper they will be.

Back
Top Bottom