HELP: Prolapse _?_ on Pekin Drake w/pics and video

I wouldn't use lidocaine. My avian vet has advised me not to use numbing agents in birds - anything ending in caine. Their bodies process it differently than ours and they can be easily overdosed.

KY is really cheap and you can get it at pharmacies and even some grocery stores.

Bird anti inflammatory medication has to come from the vet, but some people temporarily use human aspirin. Baby aspirin can be easier to dose, I hear. But I haven't used it.

Fiberous treats would be like kale, blueberries, ect.
So mealworms are ok?

Where might I find bird anti-inflammatory?
Most avian vets will use meloxicam or carprofen on birds, but since they require a prescription, you can use baby aspirin, which is of the same drug class (NSAIDS) as the previous ones mentioned. Refer to the dosing I provided earlier.

I don't have KY or Vaseline, but I have a natural/organic lubricant that has 4% Lidocaine numbing cream for human intimate use... Would that work?
Too risky to use lidocaine on birds. You would be better off picking up KY at your nearest health, or grocery store.
So mealworms are ok?
Mealworms are ok. When I say fibrous I mean avoiding anything that may be harder to digest. With a bird that recently had a prolapse, we would want the fecal matter to be slightly loose so there isn't much strain on the tissue when attempting to defecate.

Back
Top Bottom