HELP! Prolapse?

The Chick Addict

💖
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
I went out to let the chickens out and found one of my Brahma hens, Perpetua, laying in a nesting box. This is her first time laying in a while. I noticed that she was pushing very hard and I found a freshly laid egg with some poop on it beneath her. But she was still pushing! I took her out and noticed that her laying organ was protruding with some poop inside. I brought her inside and the organ went back inside of her and she has stopped pushing. I was getting really freaked out. The organ was lumpy as if poop or another egg was inside of it. She is acting pretty normal right now and she has not been pushing anymore. What in the world was going on with her?! Was it a prolapse or was it stress for not having laid an egg in a while?

Thanks!

It's hard to say without seeing it, but it could have been a prolapse. It could be a glitch from coming back into lay, or because it was a larger than usual or mishapen or rough egg. I would keep an eye on her for a while, make sure that things are normal in the future, make sure she has access to oyster shell for calcium.

It's hard to say without seeing it, but it could have been a prolapse. It could be a glitch from coming back into lay, or because it was a larger than usual or mishapen or rough egg. I would keep an eye on her for a while, make sure that things are normal in the future, make sure she has access to oyster shell for calcium.
It was an average size egg. The suspected prolapse only lasted a couple of minutes so I was able to get a pic. They do have enough calcium and I offer them crushed shells. She is acting like usual and I will continue to keep and eye on her. Thanks! :D

Is this similar to what you saw?
The intestine and reproductive system "meet" at the cloaca (vent). There is an inversion of tissue when the leg is laid (basically tissue turns in on itself to block the intestine opening.

If this was her first egg, the kinks may not be worked out completely.
I do not disturb my hens nor do I pick them when they are laying their eggs, I let them do their thing.

I have witnessed my chickens laying their eggs and I do not disturb them when they are doing so. I only did it this time because she had already laid and was pushing very hard. Yes, her cloaca area that you can see where the egg is laid was actually completely protruding where you can actually see a large lumpy ball of pink coming out her vent. It was not just the small outline you see while laying. Her cloaca was sideways when it was protruding and it contained poop from what I could see.

Is she doing o.k. now?

It may have been one time thing, with new layers there's can be glitches.
She may have another on the way, possible, since sometimes new layers just don't know what's happening or they can't get situated and hold the egg for a while an another is behind it.

It's one of those things that you'll just have to monitor on her for several days. If she has more issues then I'd get extra Calcium into her for a week to see if that helps straighten things out.

Actually, she is a year and 4 months and I meant to say that this is her first time laying in a while. Her last time until today was about Jan or Feb.

She is doing fine now. Acting normal. I will be monitoring her and and thanks for all y'alls help! 💚

Back
Top Bottom