Help! Prolapsed vent wont go back in AGAIN!

stcroixusvi

Songster
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Western NC
My Coop
My Coop
Please help - one of our RIR had an egg bound this morning, we soaked her and she expelled the whole egg but there was a broken egg in there also. We have now removed the broken egg shell and tried to push the vent back in but she keeps forcing it out again. She is now in a water filled sink - husband holding her - and I need to know what to do next.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, we got all the broken egg and applied honey - we'll have to go out for prep h, but the vent will not stay in. She grunts and forces it back out. She is now in a carrier but it is terrible to see her this way.

Sometimes it takes awhile for it to go back in, when the swelling goes down. Keep the prolapse clean and put Prep H on the prolapse. Keep her in a crate in a dark area. Sometimes it will go back in and sometimes it won't. Just keep an eye on her. It took a couple of weeks with my one hen to recover. Good luck.

Thanks for the info - she seems to be expelling something liquidy and clear. I will run out for the prep h and meanwhile hopefully she will get rid of whatever is making her uncomfortable. I really hate to see her this way....she just starting laying about a month ago.

Quote:

Could the liquid-y stuff be the egg white from the broken egg? I am new to chickens myself and would hate to offer bad advice. But if you keep her comfortable and clean I am betting she will get rid of whatever is left in there and feel better. If the broken egg had a yolk and white and it didn't come out, could that be what she's straining to pass?

She has pooped some more, so I am waiting a little bit before we stress her out by applying the newly purchased Prep H and pushing the vent back in. She has water, but no food. What should I feed her when we successfully get the vent to stay back in? (I am thinking positively.)

edited to add, I don't know what the stuff is that came out earlier, but don't want to move her to find out.

Last edited:
Again, I'm new and hesitate to give you advice, but I read the boards regularly and have seen similar situations. If it was my chicken, I would clean up that vent and push it back in and slather the PH on it. I'd probably put something in there for her in case she gets hungry. That egg layin' is hard work. I'd try whatever I normally feed and if she only pecks at it I'd try something like yogurt or a scrambled egg. I don't think she will eat before she's ready. Is she drinking? Pooping regular poops?

I bet she will be fine. Seems like the girls who are just starting to lay have to get used to the process. Sending good thoughts your way!

We cleaned it again, put more PH on it, dried her up, but she still strains and it pops back out again. She did eat some scrambled egg and mashed organic chicken feed. I am not so grossed out by it anymore, but do wish it would stay in. She has been pooping. And we are keeping her in a darkened room to stop or slow egg production. We cannot feel anything else up her vent.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom