Help! Prolapsed vent wont go back in AGAIN!

You did great. Just keep the area clean and keep gently pushing it back in. Eventually it will stay in but it may take several days. I've read it's good to give probiotics too--maybe someone has advice on if she needs an antibiotic since the egg broke? Good luck--hope she gets well soon!

I;ve been looking at pics of prolapsed vents and our chicken's is very fleshy compared to the others. It is as though something was torn, maybe by the broken egg shell? There was a tiny bit of blood at first but nothing since then.

Thanks - but I don't think it should be so fleshy. She is eating and pooping normal looking poops - amazing. And she stood for her washing this morning - the spray bottle is much better than the submerging at this point - and I put more PH on her. I think I am going to take her to the vet, though, because it really doesn't look right. I wonder if the broken egg cut her vent....horrible thought, but I need to know. Her name is Alison, by the way....the chicken, not the vet:)

Other emergencies prevented us from getting her to the vet yesterday. I did call them but they would not even take my questions. Sadly our vet does not do birds. We cleaned her up last night, clipped some of the feathers around her vent, tried to push it back in again, but she forces it out. She is eating and drinking and continues to poop. I fed her some egg this morning.

Does she need oyster shells while on the mend? What sort of antibiotic should I give her? We've been keeping the area moist with Prep H.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Anne

Like I said earlier, sometimes the vent won't go back in. Sometimes after the swelling goes down, it will go back in on its own. If it stays out, and doesn't go back in, and starts bleeding badly, you may have no choice but to cull her. That's what I had to do to one of my hens. But as long as she's not suffering, and she's eating and drinking, give her alittle time to see if she will heal on her own. Keep her separated, the prolapse clean and keep putting Prep H on. Good luck, hope she recovers.
fl.gif

I wouldn't worry about giving her any oyster shells. Since she's prolapsed, I wouldn't worry about that right now. You should make a little grit available to her however.

Last edited:
Poor little Alison! Don't give up yet, it can take a while for it to heal and stay in. When our Mathilda prolapsed, her vent was a mess, all cut up and hanging out and would get covered in poo. Several times a day I'd flush it clean with a squeeze bottle, spray some antibiotic spray on it (I used Bactine since that was all that was in the house), then smear some more PrepH on it to keep it moist, then gently push it back in. As awful as it looked for a long time, it eventually healed and you couldn't pick her out a backwards lineup after that. I've read that calcium is helpful and would give Mathilda a helping of plain yogurt every morning with her breakfast--if nothing else it was a treat she loved. Good luck and keep up the good work!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience! She seems to be doing fine, and it helps to read that yours recovered fully. She is eating right now, and then I'll take her out to wash her off again, and try to push the vent back in.

Do you remember at what point the vent stayed intact after you pushed it in? We are on day 3 and she still pushes it out. Very frustrating.

Quote:

To the best of my memory, I think it was around week 3? Seemed like it was taking forever, then one day it looked less prominent and got better every day from then on.

Back
Top Bottom