1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Proper Fence to Set Boundaries for Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Flower Chick, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Flower Chick

Flower Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Minnesota
    Our five chickens are just under 7 months old and we are planning on getting another five in the spring. We have just under two acres and the chickens have just started 'migrating' over to a neighbor's yard (we prefer to let the chickens free range during the day). We have decided to put up a picket fence to hopefully keep the chickens in the backyard (they will have almost an acre to roam). My question is: Should we put up a 4 ft. or 6 ft. fence? Any fence suggestions for us? Thanks so much!!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    The higher the better! If you want to, you can build the shorter fence (which I assume would be cheaper for you) and clip or brail their wings to keep them from flying over the fence. I have contained chickens in a 4 foot fence before---some would fly out, but clipping their primary feathers on one wing stopped that pretty fast.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by