HELP!!! Pullet with a poop problem is making me worried!

clehmberg

Chirping
Sep 30, 2015
Salt Lake City, UT
Kind of a yukky topic but I don't know what to do...I have an Amauricana pullet that is having some sort of issue...when she poops it doesn't just fall to the ground it hangs on like there is string or something similar in it and u can tell she knows it's there and she keeps trying to finish but then gives up... it eventually falls after she walks around ...I have looked to see if there is anything left hanging there but there isn't...out of the 5 chickens that i have she is the only one having a problem...any ideas?

I'm not sure exactly but I think abut 8 months. I let them freerange on almost a 1/4 acre with plenty of grass and dirt available to them...I don't know if dirt is good enough or if i need to give them grit...I already give them oyster shell with their scratch...

I'm not sure exactly but I think abut 8 months. I let them freerange on almost a 1/4 acre with plenty of grass and dirt available to them...I don't know if dirt is good enough or if i need to give them grit...I already give them oyster shell with their scratch...
Oyster shell is not good enough as grit. Depends on your soil if they get enough grit. My dog does that when he has hogged down a long piece of grass. Did you check for that? Or maybe it's part of the claoca hanging down. Check her vent for dislodged egg canal? White stringy membrane.

If it's grass she needs grit. The other problem is serious. Vet I would assume now.

she doesn't like me to touch her so all i have done is look...I have noticed the white stringy stuff...i guess ill take her to the vet...thank you so much for your help

A vet is best. If you could handle her I would recommend gently washing her bum and patting it dry to see what it looks like. I would just soak her a bit and them shwoosh the water with your hand to try and remove as much poop as possible without touching her.

It could be something from inside or even something she ate. One of my speckled sussix hens had a string hanging out of her mouth. She's friendly and I bent down beside her so I could see what was going on. I gently pulled on the string and to my surprise the string kept coming. I was gagging
sickbyc.gif
and the hen just stood there. Well the string finally came out....about 6 inches worth! It was one of the threads that sew the feed bags shut. I'm always so careful about leaving things laying around because my chickens free range but she got a hold of this somehow.

Good luck with your girl and let us know what happens.

she is the runt of my flock and also the fastest so she doesn't get pecked when she steals food from the full grown hens so she is hard to catch. i will see what I can do and I will post what happens.
thank you for you help.

Back
Top Bottom