1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Puny chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SportChick, Aug 24, 2013.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    2 of my eggs hatched yesterday (day 20) under my broody so far. There are still a few eggs under her so there are all together in the nesting box. One of the chicks is small (it was a small egg). The other is a big robust baby. The little one is looking a little sickly and the mama hen isn't being very nice to it so I want to move it into a brooder and nurse it a little.

My question is other than some boiled egg what should I do? I don't have an easy source of medicinal stuff. What goes into the electrolyte solution that people talk about? How long can I keep it separated from her and still expect her to accept it as her baby?

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Nevermind. It died already. Poor baby.

3. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    Aww. Sorry to hear that

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    So sorry you lost your little chick. Good luck with the big chick and the rest of the eggs.

5. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Today is only day 21 but one of the remaining 3 eggs smells and candles with liquid in it so it got thrown out. 1 of the others has something in it but it doesnt look alive to me and the last is too dark to candle. Looks like we may have a lonely, single baby. Can I sneak another day old chick in when she's sleeping?

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You should be able to do that. Most hens will accept other day old chicks when theirs are hatching or just hatched. Just slip them under her at night when everybody is quiet so she doesn't know what is going on and hopefully in the morning she will think they are hers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by