HELP! Puppies attacked new hen (*pictures)

She(?) is finally laying down this morning, which at least makes me feel better because last night she was sleeping standing up. I haven’t seen her eat/drink much yet, but I ended up bolusing her with a few CCs of nutridrench last night before bed and she did gobble down a few mealworms this morning when I tossed some next to her. My wife will be home with her all day today, so I’m hoping some TLC will help her recover.

Also, below is a picture of her looking a little more hennish (before getting her feathers ruffled by the puppies). We are fairly new to chickens so she could still very well be a rooster, but we thought maybe the confusion was due to her feathers looking ruffled and roo-like after the attack. Below is her(?) normal appearance. We would be interested to know if yall still think she/he is a male, because we have no idea.

View attachment 1294424
Humm I'm not sure.... How old is she?

I don’t own any chickens, so maybe my input is irrelevant, but I would offer my support to what others have said thus far. The wounds don’t *appear to be certain death. (* I don’t have chicken anatomy info and like others have said, can still be unknown internal injuries). But, based on appearances, they just got the ‘meat’ slightly to the side of the spinal area. The wound is an appreciable size but not seeing any organs, I think that’s a good sign?

I hope for nothing but the best in your attempts to rehab the guy/gal and hope you keep everyone posted on her progress. (Also hope you can nail down a gender haha).

Looks like you’re doing really well so far.

Question for the chicksperts... does s/he need to try and keep the chicken from laying eggs (assuming it’s a hen for a minute)?

I know when my Lucy (female Pekin) was in my ‘ICU’ (which looked just like this one minus the heat lamp) I kept her in dark status so as to not promote egg laying.

Is it the same with hens? Asking for her benefit of course.

Looking even better today! Eating and drinking well, and seems almost back to her old self. Even spent some time preening herself on my arm this evening :)
9DFF7847-B4D6-49C5-BB0C-E39692B83800.jpeg

Also, ‘proof’ from Pepper’s previous owner that she is a hen.
Hard for me to tell, since I’ve never watched an egg lay in person, but it looks like the video catches the tail-end of her laying. That, or it catches a rooster squatting over eggs.

Back
Top Bottom