Help! Quail dying and now bald!?

I don't belive it is any disease...bullying, feather plucking. That hutch is too small for that many quail....even at 1sq.ft...it's still too small. Might check for mites.
How big of an enclosure do you normally keep your 4 week old quail? I had always kept them similar to this until I moved them into breeding pens at around 7 weeks :confused:

The humane rule of thumb is at least one square foot per bird. Subtract the space used by feeders, waterers, dust baths, etc.
But when they're babies they just all kind of hangout in the same area. I rarely observe them spreading out and it's hard to imagine 15 square feet being utilized by 15 birds that age. I wouldn't consider how I raise my birds to he inhumane. They graduate into bigger spaces as they grow into them.

The ones that died had full and easy access to food and water. 2 of them died NEXT TO the waterer. I don't see anyone chasing or pecking and I've watched them for hours now. I'm thinking something else is going on.

But when they're babies they just all kind of hangout in the same area. I rarely observe them spreading out and it's hard to imagine 15 square feet being utilized by 15 birds that age. I wouldn't consider how I raise my birds to he inhumane. They graduate into bigger spaces as they grow into them.

The ones that died had full and easy access to food and water. 2 of them died NEXT TO the waterer. I don't see anyone chasing or pecking and I've watched them for hours now. I'm thinking something else is going on.
4 weeks, in my experience is right about when they start needing adult space.

For a definitive answer, I would have a necropsy done on one or two of the birds that died. The next best option would be to have a vet test one or two of the remaining birds for common diseases.

4 weeks, in my experience is right about when they start needing adult space.

For a definitive answer, I would have a necropsy done on one or two of the birds that died. The next best option would be to have a vet test one or two of the remaining birds for common diseases.
Barring the ability to send for testing, is there a broad spectrum antibiotic I can administer?

How big of an enclosure do you normally keep your 4 week old quail? I had always kept them similar to this until I moved them into breeding pens at around 7 weeks :confused:
Give them some grit and a high protein seed or grain for a boost of nutrition. It might help regrow those feathers. Flax seed is something like 25% protein and you can probably buy a pound of it at the supermarket. I've had many animals showing signs of malnutrition on pellet feeds over the years. I've switched to whole grains and I soak them overnight to mimic nature's dew. Honestly, I don't even trust the contents in dog food these days.

Back
Top Bottom