HELP, quail eggs came in mail too fast

410farmer

Chirping
Dec 10, 2019
I’m on day 12 for the eggs I have in the incubator now, I ordered my eggs later and was told I would have a longer wait untill the eggs came. I only have 1 incubator. What can I do for the eggs I already have in the incubator. I was thinking of making a diy incubator out of a tote and light for heat?

I’m on day 12 for the eggs I have in the incubator now, I ordered my eggs later and was told I would have a longer wait untill the eggs came. I only have 1 incubator. What can I do for the eggs I already have in the incubator. I was thinking of making a diy incubator out of a tote and light for heat?
1. Store the eggs somewhere safe-put the egg container at an angle and change it each day having a different end higher each day. This takes the place of turning them each day.

2. Remove the egg turner, add the new eggs, and turn eggs manually and not have a lockdown for the first eggs. You can turn the eggs less during, what would have been, the lockdown period.

3. If you have never made a DIY incubator use method one or two as they are more likely to give better results.

I'd recommend contacting the egg seller and ask the oldest the eggs would have been when they were shipped. Explain your problem and you'll probably get an honest answer. Eggs can be stored for two weeks without much loss in viability. If your second batch of eggs is still under 14 days old when the first batch hatches, I'd store the eggs.

1. Store the eggs somewhere safe-put the egg container at an angle and change it each day having a different end higher each day. This takes the place of turning them each day.

2. Remove the egg turner, add the new eggs, and turn eggs manually and not have a lockdown for the first eggs. You can turn the eggs less during, what would have been, the lockdown period.

3. If you have never made a DIY incubator use method one or two as they are more likely to give better results.

I'd recommend contacting the egg seller and ask the oldest the eggs would have been when they were shipped. Explain your problem and you'll probably get an honest answer. Eggs can be stored for two weeks without much loss in viability. If your second batch of eggs is still under 14 days old when the first batch hatches, I'd store the eggs.
Thank you didn’t think of contacting the people I ordered from. And I think if they don’t reply within the 24 hr mark I’ll just go with your idea, I never checked to see how many eggs was viable, I’ve checked 2 and seen one was and the other one wasn’t. So if I decide to move them over to manual moving I’ll check for all the viable ones

I'm almost in the same situation. All I've found is that viability is significantly effected after 7 days. (this summer, all by eggs have been about 5 days on arrival).

There are numerous articles about letting eggs rest as long as you can, then incubating without turning between 24-48 hours.

I received eggs today that are a week earlier than expected and
I have eggs showing up some time later next week. I' won't tell ya what to do, mut maybe it'll give ya an idea.

The main difference between incubation and lockdown should be:
1) Humidity should increase at lockdown.

2) Eggs don't like being turned after lockdown.

I was in the a similar situation in April.

I ordered my eggs and an incubator from 2 different shops. When I received the incubator the shop gifted me 48 hatching eggs for loyality, but my other hatching eggs would had arrived much later.
In the end the first ones were stored about 16 days, from order date (stored @15-18°C in the cellar, tip down, turning the boxes from +45° angle to -45° angle 1 time each day).

I had a hatch rate of 83% in the end.

In Germany there is a saying: nothing is eaten as hot, as it has been cooked.
Means approximately that you should not worry, as theory and practical isn't the same.

Store them cool (between 10-18°C) and turn them every day.

Thanks y’all feel a lot better about my situation I waited the 24hr “sit” period for the shipping eggs so the incubating eggs are at 13 and a half days. I’m going to go ahead and switch them over today.

Hi there random thought we used a pet mat during lockdown as our ordered incubator was stuck in postage I was able to hatch quail from this and temp was pretty stable u will need to turn them good luck😊

My first eggs are starting to hatch one is fully out the egg and chirping another is pipping
0E777FBE-180F-46F6-A8D6-116C98C40E07.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom