HELP...Quail feather picking!

amaliayosa

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Blue Ridge Mountains, NC
I noticed three out of 8 of my quail are missing their chest and neck feathers. How do I stop this behavior? I am moving them out of their rubbermaid brooder into a cage today. What else can I do?
Thanks
Amy

Are they breeding?? You may have to seperate males because they will fight and pull the feathers out and the males will also pull the females feather out. I had two girls that looked like chemo patients from the male quail, they are nasty.

This is turning into a real mess. I am ready to give them away. They are only a month old, so I cannot sex them yet.
I noticed today as I was putting neosporin on them that one has about 1/3 of one of its toes pecked, it is just crusted over and hanging there. Do I need to put this chick down?
I think I isolated the picker, there are no fresh wounds around since I seperated him, should the picker be culled?
In the meantime I am going to go out and get some blue kote.
Thanks!

The one with the bad toe will be ok, I see them all the time missing toes. I would get rid of the pecker, if its him causing all the problems. They do get bored, I use to buy spray millet for mine so they had something to do.

Little plastic rings that hold their mouths slightly open, and attach through the nostrils. It keeps them from being able to peck each other. They come in different sizes, and you will have to change them as they grow. You also need to feed and water in a deep dish so they can eat an drink properly. It is pretty normal to bit game birds for this. Thats why I like the chuckars, they typically get along pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom