HELP!!! Question about incubator....

M@M@2four

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
USA
Hello all...so, I have two incubators--a hovabator w/turning rack(still air) and a Little Giant(still air as well). Both are just basic styrofoam. For some crazy reason I can hatch eggs succesufully with my hovabator, but not my little Giant--all the eggs are fertile and are kicking and alive and then day 21(or 26 in the case with my call ducks) comes and goes...several days pass and then when i finally crack the egg, there is a fully formed chick or duck but all dead. I finally had a chick pip and hatch almost all the way and finally got out of the egg, and died right there! So, here's my question---what the heck am I doing wrong? Does anyone have success with the Little Giant(still air)??? And my hovabator has little red plugs in the top--nowhere in the directions does it say to remove any of them, so I haven't and had success. But my Little Giant says to remove red plug. Why is it different when they have the same build almost and make??? I do not monitor my humidity with a thermometer in either one of them--I do have thermometers and keep them at 100 99.5-100 degrees and I do keep the center troughs filled with water(both are filled exactly the same). I'm SO confused as to why I've had such issues with the Little Giant. Any suggestions???
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
You stated that U do not monitor the humidity, this is where you need to start. Get a hygrometer then regroup. It dont take as much water a most think.

Last edited:
I always use thermometer/hygrometers and measure my humidity from day one..temps in LG still airs should be 101 to 102 .....my humidity I keep between 40 to 50% first 18 days..somewhere in between those...last 3 days I up it to 60 to 70%......

Lots of people have great hatches with the LG, some don't...

I've used LGs for years. Most of my hatches with them have been okay. Tuffoldhen is right. Take the temperature at the top of the eggs at 101.5. I always have the one red vent plug out from the get-go (I actually threw it away a long time ago). I remove the second one during hatch. Do you have a turner with your LG?

Last edited:
THANKS ALL!!! You've been a HUGE help!!! I'll start monitoring the humidity. I guess because I've always had success with my hovabator, I just thought might be something with the Little Giant. I'll keep you all posted!!!!
smile.png

Here is what I would do. Take the thermometer out of the lg and put it alongside the thermometer you are using in the hovabator. I think what you will find is they read very different readings. that is my theory. I bet the thermometer in the lg is off.

Back
Top Bottom