Help! Rabbit testicular injury **gross picture**

BekaMarie

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2017
Yesterday we came home and our male silver fox rabbit escaped. We though he had hurt his leg but apon further inspection he had cut/scraped is testicle. We cleaned it out with colloidal silver water and have been discussing what to do. He has been eating and drinking, standing on his back legs, moving around.

A lot of questions have been running around my head, what can we do (if anything) besides take him to the vet? Will he be able to breed? Will this cause him trouble in the future/ If he cant breed will he be able to be someones pet? I dont know if anyone has been through this or can give me any advice. I'm avoiding the vet because we dont have the money, plus I'm not sure if anything can be done.
Picture:
The discolored pale part is hard but the other part are still soft and pink. There is no dark parts or anything that is wet or slimy.
First picture is before I cleaned it today. The second is after, its red but I had no blood on my towel.

So only one testicle is injured, right?

The testicle should heal fine as long as it is kept moist and doesn't get infected. Depending on the extent of the tissue damage, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tissue dies and falls off. I expect that the majority of the testicle will remain, though. I would probably get some neosporin antibiotic ointment and apply it to the injured area to help prevent infection and moisturize it. I've used the neosporin in the past when a few of my rabbits were injured, and the wounded areas healed great. You can keep applying the colloidal silver if you want, too, but plain antibiotic ointment is all you should need.

Even if the testicle doesn't heal completely, the buck should still be decently fertile, since he has one operational testicle. Once the testicle is healed and the scabs are gone, he should be able to enthusiastically perform all of his breeding duties--no need to become a pet unless unforeseen complications arise.

Yes just one.He's doing good, no infection and it seems to be starting to heal. I'm very happy to hear he should be able to breed. Almost ever thing I read said I should take him to the vet and get him fixed but I couldnt figure out if that was because the person wwas not breeding or if it would be a overall health issue.

Thankfully we noticed it right away and he is way more compliant with "check ups" than our two does. He just stares at me with pitiful eyes. Currently he is fixing his cage. I put a couple pine cones in a piece of squash in the corner and he is now moving them to his bowl... he cracks me up :p

My kids love giving ours toilet paper tubes stuffed with hay. I'm glad he is healing and allows you to take care of him.

It is difficult finding info that is not skewed to the edges sometimes. I know I felt the same about reading sites that forbid discussing raising rabbits for meat, but had some good care info. And on the other side, where any issue is met with culling. I like a happy medium. My breeding trio and kits will be cared for to the best of my ability while I have them. If I can sell some, great. If not, they will be treated humanely, and the cycle will continue. Judging from craigslist there is no shortage of pet rabbit breeders.

I like the happy medium. I would never want to give someone a rabbit with health issues that would be a constant problem. And with a full grown rabbit being able to feed our dogs for a few days I couldnt justify spending money and time a non-produtive rabbit right now. Finding a new home would be my first choice but in the end it needs to be whats best for everyone. Even though they are not pets, Its hard for me not to be a little attached.

On a happy note he is doing great. The wound looks like its healing and no signs of infections :]]. I'm very thankful for this site. I feel a lot more comfortable with our decision to wait it out.

I had a buck get an injury a bit worse than this one and it healed up fine. I do not know if he is still fertile though because I do not breed. I did not put anything on it because I heard alot of stuff is poisonous to rabbits and I did not know what was safe that he would not just lick off. I hope yours is still doing well.

I wish I had read this sooner. I breed meat rabbits for my family's consumption, and I had all four of my bucks in one big cage to transport them a few months ago. Their was a fight during the transport and one had a quite serious looking testicle injury so I went ahead and processed him.
Then this past week I was moving some rabbits around at home and putting some young ones out to grow out when two of my males fought and ripped open one of the rabbit's testes. He was my favorite breeder because of his calm temperament and beautiful markings, but I thought I had to process him. Had I known that he would be fine and could continue breeding, I could have kept him around. Sometimes you learn too late. But, now I know for next time...if there is one.

Did they done any stitching same happened to my rabbit today unable to get vet due to lock down. For now given oilment. Will send a picture in some time.

These are the pics. Seems both are still there will it cure? Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_233005.jpg
    IMG_20200413_233005.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200413_233002.jpg
    IMG_20200413_233002.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20200413_232952.jpg
    IMG_20200413_232952.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200413_233009_1.jpg
    IMG_20200413_233009_1.jpg