Help! Random dogs- how can I scare them away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by starbuck, Nov 19, 2011.

1. starbuck

starbuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    I live on the edge of a conservation trail, and lots of people go through it with their dogs off lead (it's 550 acres of trails). Our coop and run have circle marks in the dirt around it from dogs running around it in circles! And claw marks on the side.

I used to be nervous about the hawks, raccoons, or foxes, but now it's people's dogs.

I looked out the window this morning and there was a Great Dane ON TOP OF THE COOP! It had jumped up on the egg boxes and was on the roof. It knocked off a few shingles too, and I am super mad.

The girls are safe while they're in the coop, but I want to let them out, and we don't have any fencing outside of the run yet.

Sometimes people are there and I plan on addressing it with them, but this dog ran right back into the woods, and there was no person around, no car parked, etc.

Is there some sort of high pitched alarm I can set off when I see a dog near the coop? Some sort of spray or something? I am BEYOND angry that someone's unattended PET could kill my girls. A wild animal is one thing, but someone's off lead dog is making me see red.

Any suggestions? Is my only answer a chain link fence or keeping them in the run? Neither are first choice options for me.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Treat the predators just as you would any others. I don't see any difference. If it were my coop, the dog would fall off the coop instead of jump. Yup, that's just me. Getting angry do help anything. Just take care of business.

3. starbuck

starbuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    I know, but I'm in suburbia with only 4 girls. If I lived in a more rural area with more girls or in more of a farm type setting that might be a reality for me.

Is there some sort of high pitched whistle I can use? Now I've seen two different dogs in the 3 months since we've had them, and I assume that will only increase, right?

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    If you can't use a real firearm then maybe a pellet gun will help.

I gotta admit, if anything would prompt me to grab the shotgun, it would be sight of a Great Dane standing on top of the chicken coop! [​IMG]

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

If you are going to free range, you must fight fire with fire~have your own big dog(s) who tolerates no other dog on the property~and a sturdy perimeter fencing. Otherwise, I can almost guarantee you will have losses.

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

electrified fencing?
    If you are going to shoot a dog use a PAINT BALL gun...the advantage of a paint ball gun is if you see the dog with someone after having shot it there will be NO QUESTION that it's a dog you just chased off and you can tell the owner so.

7. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    Since its random dogs Id say shooting it isnt gonna be the answer cause a different dog that doesnt know any better will just come along the next day I would say electric fencing is your best bet. Also they make those sonic dog repellers but Im not sure how or even if they work and they make sprays but that probly wouldnt work great and reapplying would be a pain.

8. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:x2
    verry good advice!

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Fence
    Electric Fence
    signs posted that says "Warning: Poison Bait on Property-dogs will die if eaten.
    Humane animal traps (you can rent them), and the pound

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    A good fence is all you need

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by