Help! Random dogs- how can I scare them away?

I have three coops and three runs. We like to let the chickens out in their own groups once in while to free range. We live way out in the country on a little mountain. After this spring and six racoons, two ferel cats and one possum.....I am quite cautious on letting the chickens out.

One group of five would free range the back yard that faces the woods. And the other flock would free range the garden. My husband let the little group out two weeks ago and got distracted by the neighbors. THEY were wanting something from us. He had just ran off their mothers dog 30 minutes before. I took the trash out and drove over where they were talking and started hearing a rooster. Told my husband the baby roosters must be fighting (spring hatch and they had started feeling their oats) so I drove the golf cart around the corner of the open shed to a sight of the neighbors dog on top of my LF cochin rooster. Feathers were flying everywhere. This had been going on for a few minutes. I screamed lots of loud things that should not be spoken much less that loud and ended with get the gun. Then I realized it was the neighbors dog.

Were they concerned? No.
Did they apologized? No.
Instead they cornered my husband up later and told him we did not have the right to free range our chickens in our own backyard. Seems they belong in the coop and run and should never be turned loose. Their dogs however, live in the country and have the right to go wherever they want to go....because they are dogs and that is what dogs do in the country. These are the same people who cry over losses of their own dogs that the neighbors kill. Hmmmm....I seem to be quite confused.

The rooster is fine because I got there in time....barely. Extream loss of feathers and thank goodness cochins are so heavily feathered. And I realized when I got to him...he had ran around the corner to the other coop gate and into the corner...that he was not the only one left out. One of the hens was balled up in the corner and he was standing practically on top of her protecting her after getting almost eaten himself. I opened the little gate and they ran in. Later I made my DH go in and check them over for puncture wounds.
This is a rooster that I was thinking about rehoming. BUT he took it for the hen and was protecing her.

Needless to say I no longer free range them. You would have thought one of being out there with them would make it okay. I am considering a really big dog with a real bad reputation though. One of those 'live in the country and go where they want to dogs. I would feel real bad should my new mean dog eat one of their dogs!!! Bad owners. Not bad dogs.

What kind of fence will keep a great dane out?

Most any electric fence will do it.

I had a hound that, once he learned about electric fences, wouldn't cross a 6 INCH "fence" made out of string​

Last edited:
bburn, a little visit from animal control or the sheriff's office can do wonders to clear up those kind of misconceptions that your neighbors have
wink.png

Now that the neighbor's across the street know that we are all serious about "no roaming dogs" they are actually keeping the little buggers at home. I'm still really sad for them - they are chained and sleep under cars. But, they meet the "requirements" for shelter and food, so nothing to be done about them.

I just have to say to all of yall that think shooting someones dog is a good idea, its not in fact it would just be down right dangerous in this day and age. Even with just a paintball thats liable to really piss someone off, and people are killed for less everyday. Maybe thats just my point of view being from Texas idk but everyone here has guns generally and messin with someones dog can be like messing with there children. Just in case you dont think so, I shot my neighbor with a 20 gauge full of rocksalt for stealing the rabies tags off my dogs collar, not something Id normally do but I just happen to be drunk at the time I saw him running across my backyard. And now people got permits so you never know whos carrying, I worked with a guy who had a permit and everyday that wackjob talked about how he wish someone would give him a reason to so he could kill them.

Quote:
all the more reason to stick to the SSS rule - shoot, shovel, and shut up.

regardless, an animal attacking my livestock is not permissible. those are my animals, my property, my responsibility, and my income. people do not get to steal or destroy my animals, my property, or my income, either in person or by proxy through iresponsibility with a loose and dangerous dog. I prefer to reduce the problem through prevention, however, dogs that defeat that and do destruction are appropriately dealt with. it's not a risk free world we live in, one just has to decide which risks are worth taking.

Just in case you dont think so, I shot my neighbor with a 20 gauge full of rocksalt for stealing the rabies tags off my dogs collar,

That's not very smart.
Excuse me if I don't follow any of your advice​

admitting it in public is probably not a good idea, though I will say that this might be legal in Texas. i know that Texas is one of the few states where it is legal to kill to protect property, even if the person is fleeing the scene.

Just as it is legal to shoot to protect property, they should also know that it is legal to protect livestock. Most everyone here carries weapons as well, but that is no reason for me to not protect my rights and property.

THAT'S a given.....
roll.png

Actually, if you have taken all the necessary steps to protect your livestock and property from roaming dogs, informed the proper authorities, etc. and have come to the end of it all and still have dogs marauding through your property, shooting them is a viable solution.

Not really a wonderful feeling to shoot a perfectly good animal, but it protects your property, eliminates future threats of this nature and sends a message, not to mention removes one more dog from heading to an already overcrowded shelter system.

I've had to shoot a few dogs myself, after exhausting all other avenues, and it took care of the immediate problem at the time. The people either didn't get anymore dogs or they kept their remaining dogs real close to home afterwards.

I didn't think much of free roamers until a dog came onto my property and ATTACKED my dog.The vet bill was $400. I swore if that dog ever came back I would kill it immediately. Don't wait till something bad happens. I fenced my entire yard. I know dogs can climb,but most just sniff around the edge. Maybe the county will post signs about keeping a dog on a leash? I see signs posted about waste clean up in a spot where doggie doo became an issue.

Since the dog attack I don't try to coax a dog to me(and call AC). They could attack just like that husky did. You are not a part of the dogs pack, and are a threat just like the chickens are toys. It is to bad dog owners don't see this. Call your officials and complain about loose dogs attacking your hens.Demand someothing be done before you have to deal with a full blown attack and irrate dog owners.

Back
Top Bottom