Help! RATS!!

W
Tulips:

Do you think your rats are a resident bunch that are trapped in your house or are they now able to come and go freely? If the latter.........that is a problem.

And are they roof rats (hanging out in your attic) or the much larger brown (Norway) rats living in tunnels down low? Coming up through a toilet sounds like Norway rats.

So these guys are super tough. Able to swim half a mile of open water? Fall 50 feet and walk away unharmed?

https://wildlife.unl.edu/pdfs/rodent-proof-consturction-structural.pdf

Did you send the message with Army War Against Rats and 3 other links? Can't find the message!! Only saw part!!
Please send again...thank you!

Tulips:

This was included in post #7 on page 1 of your thread, but here it is again.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rats-when-the-army-went-to-war-on-them.1216226/

The good stuff starts on page 2. Although dated, the principles outlined in all of the old CDC / Army videos are as valid today as when they were produced.

A big reason why I have spent so much time trying to accumulate factual information to share was in response to reading all manner of advice on BYC, far too much of it based on anecdotal evidence, rumors and opinion, much of which, when you dig deep into it, is simply not true. I always try to document what I share from reliable, proven sources, almost all of which come back to the reinforcing the same basic principles that have been proven over time to work.

I also find it fascinating how many folks are determined to avoid what is known to work in favor of trying things that don't. They have their reasons and that is OK if they do.

The hardest thing for those who find they have a problem with rats to accept is there is no magic silver bullet that is going to work. Getting rid of them is a long hard slog and can be an expensive one to boot.

Fruit trees? Where are you located, in general?

If they are hanging out and feeding in fruit trees, they might be the smaller black rats (aka roof rats). If they are nesting in your attic and going outside to feed, it's possible they would come back in to die. Most of the larger brown rats live outside in tunnels and once poisoned, that is where they go to die. If they are trapped inside or living inside, they would die there and could smell up the place.

Option B is to try the garbage can trap trick....if you are willing to kill them yourself.

Or the "walk the plank" rat trap, and which dunks them in water to drown.

You can use those to thin the herd, then use bait blocks to tidy up the rest.

Tulips:

This was included in post #7 on page 1 of your thread, but here it is again.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rats-when-the-army-went-to-war-on-them.1216226/

The good stuff starts on page 2. Although dated, the principles outlined in all of the old CDC / Army videos are as valid today as when they were produced.

A big reason why I have spent so much time trying to accumulate factual information to share was in response to reading all manner of advice on BYC, far too much of it based on anecdotal evidence, rumors and opinion, much of which, when you dig deep into it, is simply not true. I always try to document what I share from reliable, proven sources, almost all of which come back to the reinforcing the same basic principles that have been proven over time to work.

I also find it fascinating how many folks are determined to avoid what is known to work in favor of trying things that don't. They have their reasons and that is OK if they do.

The hardest thing for those who find they have a problem with rats to accept is there is no magic silver bullet that is going to work. Getting rid of them is a long hard slog and can be an expensive one to boot.

Thank you very much for the extra effort!! "A long hard slog"...funny!....but the cold hard truth, for sure, it seems... :(

I own it (but with a mortgage the bank does really) :(
A landlord would be a welcome resource at this point.

Fruit trees? Where are you located, in general?

If they are hanging out and feeding in fruit trees, they might be the smaller black rats (aka roof rats). If they are nesting in your attic and going outside to feed, it's possible they would come back in to die. Most of the larger brown rats live outside in tunnels and once poisoned, that is where they go to die. If they are trapped inside or living inside, they would die there and could smell up the place.

Option B is to try the garbage can trap trick....if you are willing to kill them yourself.

Or the "walk the plank" rat trap, and which dunks them in water to drown.

You can use those to thin the herd, then use bait blocks to tidy up the rest.

These are large fat dark grey, but white underside. Live in the basement, but have come up inside due to cupboard and pantry & pet food (feeding ferrel cat who isn't needing to be a mouser apparently) Now that I replaced outside basement ground level door, I assume they are trapped. I may be wrong, attic is possible. I'm in California, in what used to be orchard grounds. 80 yr old house. I may be sunk...much repair needed...won't be able to seal off the place easily. I didn't care about outside, but now they've gotten inside from the basement, or toilet!, I can't handle it.
Nearly made a water trap with spinning soda can over bucket, but didn't cause I read that they can swim well (a couple days) and hold breath underwater 3 min, which is why they can come through toilet. / Caught 5 in victor traps, but not the smart big daddy. What is Garbage can trick? (I know the walk the plank trap..)

One guy reported he had caught a bunch by simply using a full sized garbage can, the tallest you can find...at least 3 feet and 4 would be better.....and had left bait in the bottom. Peanuts, sunflower seeds, chicken feed etc. Then leave them a ramp to the top rim from the outside. They would jump in for the bait, but then could not jump back out....if can is tall enough. Could not climb the slick vertical sides of the can either. So you may find a bunch of live rats in there the next morning, which you could euthanize using baking soda and vinegar to generate CO2 to put them to sleep.....permanently. Unless you want them smarter than they were when they left, you do not take them back outside and turn them loose where they are free to run around, but may beat you back inside. Somehow, someway, they get snuffed.

The walk the plank trap does the same, except they put about 6 inches of water in the bottom of the can. They eventually drown....like overnight. Dump them and the water out, and reload.

Keep in mind, just as you have already found out, when using traps, you may get a lot of them, but not likely you will get them all. The ones you don't get repopulate and do so in a hurry. So goal is to use a lot of tricks to try to get them all.

One guy reported he had caught a bunch by simply using a full sized garbage can, the tallest you can find...at least 3 feet and 4 would be better.....and had left bait in the bottom. Peanuts, sunflower seeds, chicken feed etc. Then leave them a ramp to the top rim from the outside. They would jump in for the bait, but then could not jump back out....if can is tall enough. Could not climb the slick vertical sides of the can either. So you may find a bunch of live rats in there the next morning, which you could euthanize using baking soda and vinegar to generate CO2 to put them to sleep.....permanently. Unless you want them smarter than they were when they left, you do not take them back outside and turn them loose where they are free to run around, but may beat you back inside. Somehow, someway, they get snuffed.

The walk the plank trap does the same, except they put about 6 inches of water in the bottom of the can. They eventually drown....like overnight. Dump them and the water out, and reload.

Keep in mind, just as you have already found out, when using traps, you may get a lot of them, but not likely you will get them all. The ones you don't get repopulate and do so in a hurry. So goal is to use a lot of tricks to try to get them all.

Great idea with the can! I hope plastic can is ok. Don't see metal around anymore. Are Walk the Plank a DIY build? Fon't worry about catch and release, haha.
No sympathy for wild trespassers.
What are proportions of Baking soda to vinegar. ....Dangerous to breathe?...so only outside or basement? Awesome!
The survivor fat boy seems tired of the bait, or knows the trap. But I'm not ready for red squill and
dead-rat-easter-egg-hunting yet.
Garbage can and water buckets are next!!

Back
Top Bottom