HELP!!! Ready to kill them all and Give Up!!!!!

millerwb

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Bryan, TX
I have my A&M quail in a colony pen right now. They are the MOST WASTEFUL Buggers I have seen! I have a feeder in the pen and they have it emptied on the ground by noon! All 5-7 pounds! I tried moving it off the bottom of the pen today and it took them until 3 to get it all on the ground! How can I keep them from wasting all the food? I can't afford 50# a week for at least 25# to end up on the ground to feed my fly herd! I'm thinking, kill all the quail and raise flies for slaughter
big_smile.png
, I have enough of them. I put a Fly Stick (the large one) and it was filled in less than 15 hours!

Seriously, How can I feed my quail and not have it all end up on the ground?

TIA, Brian

Have a seed catcher under the bowl that they can't get at.

You could build one by building a box with the top off and putting fine mesh over it.

Try it!

ETA Or just get something they have to stick their heads into to get the food.

Last edited:
What kind of cage do you have them in? I ask because I wonder if it's possible to install a rabbit feeder. My birds are in wire rabbit cages with a rabbit feeder inserted through a cut out. I made a duct tape shield across the front edge of the feeder and the feed stays IN the feeder now instead of in the dropping pan. I, too, was REALLY frustrated with how much they wasted! I'd fill up the 2# feeder to have it empty in less than 30 minutes. Now I fill up the 2# feeder about every 3rd day. Less than a cup of feed is in the dropping pan now! Let me know if you need pics!
big_smile.png

You could try this:
100_2157.jpg

Cut out a section of your wire pen and install a section of wire closet rack that you can get at home depot, lowes or any hardware store. The quail fit their heads through but cant scratch the feed out. I get very minimal waste, maybe 1/2 pound out of a 50# bag, at the most. I dont use the PVC feeder anymore as it was a P.I.T.A to fill and i did the food wasting!! Instead i went into the kitchen supplies part of Walmart and picked up some square containers that are 2" tall, 3" wide and 9" long and i drilled holes in them and zip tied them to the wire closet rack, its much easier to fill!!

CAWOODUCK that is a coool idea I am thinking about doing something like that, using a larger Dia. 6" or so tube at the top so it will be easier fill this would be reduced down to to say 3" where the food comes out with say about 1" holes drilled in it so they can peck it out of it.Don't know just a thought, will post a pick if this works....
WAD

I have a rabbit feeder that hangs on the wire, off the floor. They have to reach their heads in to eat.

With their old chicken feeder they were dust bathing in the food, and it was a HUGE mess.

I built some inexpensive and simple feeders from 3" pvc pipe, one elbow and an end cap. I drilled some 1" holes in the top that projects into the pen and the birds have to put their heads down inside the holes to eat. It keeps waste down a good bit. I have used the external feeders also, but they seem to be able to waste more feed. Also, if your cages are outside, you don't want their heads poking thru since snakes and other critters will eat them!

Also, just put some top soil under your cages and rake over it lightly each day. The flies cannot get to the poop when you cover it up lightly and the odor is very much reduced. The use it in the garden every month or two or in the compost pile.

my birds waste no feed in the chick feeders I use. they are the round alluminum looking ones with holes around the edge for the quail to peck food out of. They cant dust bathe in it so they just eat what they need and leave it be
big_smile.png

This is the feeder that I am using right now:

feeder1.jpg

I might try the external feeder like one shown. I have not seen the solid bottom rabbit feeder around here.

I have to do something.

ETA: I wonder if I could put some sort of lip on that I have already??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom