Help!! Received flax seed instead of millet

Vickir73

Chickens Ate My Brain
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Leggett/Livingston
I ordered 50 lbs of white millet, but received flax seed.
sad.png
Can I feed this to the chicks/guineas??? Do I need to grind it up first? Do I need to keep it refrigerated? Should I not feed it?? What am I supposed to do with 50 pounds of flax seed???? (FYI - the company did credit me for the flax seed and is sending me the millet next week.)

I have 9 guineas, 10 easter eggers, 10 plymouth rock, 10 light brahams, 10 leghorns, 11 silkies, 10 sex links and wanted to use the millet to help train my guineas (and to treat the chicks).

Flax seed should be good for them. I feed it to my horses and it really helps to keep their coats and their hooves in good condition. Very high in omega 3's. I have feed some to my chickens too but I stopped because I need to get a better way to feed it to them. It was just getting lost in the dirt so I think I will mix it into their feed.

Thanks so much!! Can I store it in my sealed feed container or does it need to be kept refrigerated? and at 2 1/2 weeks of age, is it too soon?

Last edited:
It doesn't need to be refrigerated but it does need to be stored in a dark container from what I understand. I keep mine in the bag inside a galvanized metal can with the cover on it all the time.

BTW -
welcome-byc.gif

Isn't flax seed what the big "lower cholesterol" egg producers advertise they add to their chicken feed? I know flax seed is on my mother in law's list of things to add to her diet and she has high cholesterol.
I bought a big 50# bag of birdseed that had flax, peanuts, sunflower seeds both in shell and hulled, millet and corn. The flax seed and hulled sunflower seeds got gobbled first.

Flaxseed is good for everyone and everything. You get your Mega 3's...... lol. It only works if you grind it. Otherwise it's pointless and wastefull. A coffee grinder works great, that's what I use. I feed it to my horses since one has a weak immune system. I wish I could get a 50 lb but right now I buy it ground from Sam's Club. They sell the golden flaxseed. Great stuff. You can even put it on your food. Make sure you will be home since it will cause you to go to the bathroom right away. If you are constipated it works great. So my husband says and my SIL. I'm sure it will stop once your system adjusts to it.

If you don't grind it you won't get any benefits. The shell is to hard and doesn't break down. It will pass right through your system. It has an oily shell that protects the seed. So, in order for you to get the benefit of flaxseed grind it up.

wow, how much cheaper was the millet. Sounds like you got a deal. You can also use the flax seed for those warm it in the microwave neck thingies. the seed coating prevents it from soaking up water and expanding. And doesn't the chickens gizzard grind it up?

Back
Top Bottom