Help! Rescued chicken, she's safe now but I need help identifying age, gender, and breed.

AmmieD1011

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2019
She showed up in my yard August 10th. She stuck around without my intervention while I asked around trying to see who lost her. I didn't want a stray animal to get her and now she's got a great enclose and coop in our sideyard, but I want to take the best care of her. (I'm using "she" because I'm assuming she's female from what I can tell but I'm not sure)

Attachments

• 20190930_111235.jpg
    20190930_111235.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190930_113200.jpg
    20190930_113200.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190916_160540.jpg
    20190916_160540.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 24
She showed up in my yard August 10th. She stuck around without my intervention while I asked around trying to see who lost her. I didn't want a stray animal to get her and now she's got a great enclose and coop in our sideyard, but I want to take the best care of her. (I'm using "she" because I'm assuming she's female from what I can tell but I'm not sure)
It does appear to be female

I would say she is a young hen and maybe expect some eggs due to her face and comb been red but only pale so that would surggest she is still young and breed I have honestly no idea I would say there is maybe some bantam in there but obviously can tell because I can’t see her size but a hint of bantam stature maybe

Hen. Breed unknown. Assuming that since you're asking for gender, that she's not laid an egg for you. Her comb isn't vivid red, so she's either a pullet (female chicken under 1 year) or she's a spent hen (too old to lay). Judging from body shape, I'm guessing pullet. If she has a lot of room to lay outside of the coop, you may need to do a vent check to determine if she's laying or not. Wet vent = layer, Dry vent = not laying.

Hen. Breed unknown. Assuming that since you're asking for gender, that she's not laid an egg for you. Her comb isn't vivid red, so she's either a pullet (female chicken under 1 year) or she's a spent hen (too old to lay). Judging from body shape, I'm guessing pullet. If she has a lot of room to lay outside of the coop, you may need to do a vent check to determine if she's laying or not. Wet vent = layer, Dry vent = not laying.

I'm assuming that she is a pullet because she looked much younger and smaller when she first showed up about two months ago.

I wish that young pullets would simply arrive at my house... but Nooooo, I have to buy straight-run chicks, feed them for months, discover that over half are males... *mutters grumbles and continues to whine*... :gig
If I could would send ya some of mine, but they are from my own flock and as I interact with them so much haven't even had cockerels to put in freezer or pot, everyone wants the nice cockerels that you can handle even maturing lol

Looks like a young pullet to me, but could be a breed I'm not familiar with or a barnyard mix, but apparently animals know where to go when they need homes from what i've been seeing lately, or they could just be planning a revolt and are showing us they are the boss and will do as they please lol

Back
Top Bottom