Help! Respiratory infection

Jan 31, 2019
I’m having respiratory issues in my flock.
This week I have lost 3 that had respiratory symptoms and then this morning one of my roosters dropped dead, he didn’t have any respiratory symptoms but he did get beat up pretty bad by one of the other roosters about 2 weeks ago.
The birds in question had all developed a small bump in front of their eye, they sounded congested, lethargic, nasal discharge,sneezing, head shaking,and it looks like their sinus is sunken.
I have another three that I found hypothermic this morning, 2 of them are showing symptoms but only one of the two sounds congested.
I cut open two of the birds and one of them had pus in their sinus cavity and the other had pus in it’s lungs. I know that it’s most likely a respiratory disease and not curable and they will be carriers.
Sorry for the long post.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

My flock went through this a few weeks ago. I treated them all, even ones without symptoms, with antibiotics. They got better after the first dose.
A few days ago I had two get sick again, with the same symptoms. I have them antibiotics, and they got better. This time only two got it, and it wasn’t severe. The first time, half my flock got it and 2 died. I have no idea what it is, to be honest. This is the third or fourth time I’ve seen someone else’s birds get it. Antibiotics have always helped, but on the part where you said “I know that it’s most likely a respiratory disease and not curable and they will be carriers.” I agree, and this is also what I’ve been thinking mine have. I hope yours get better.

My flock went through this a few weeks ago. I treated them all, even ones without symptoms, with antibiotics. They got better after the first dose.
A few days ago I had two get sick again, with the same symptoms. I have them antibiotics, and they got better. This time only two got it, and it wasn’t severe. The first time, half my flock got it and 2 died. I have no idea what it is, to be honest. This is the third or fourth time I’ve seen someone else’s birds get it. Antibiotics have always helped, but on the part where you said “I know that it’s most likely a respiratory disease and not curable and they will be carriers.” I agree, and this is also what I’ve been thinking mine have. I hope yours get better.
What did you use for antibiotics?
All I have is injectable procaine penicillin

Sorry for your loss. This sounds pretty serious if they are dying. Do you notice a rotten odor around the heads of the sick birds? MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum) or coryza might be possible. A bad odor would point more to coryza or a compication from E.coli bacteria. How many birds do you have in your flock? What state are you located? If you lose another bird or two, you might want to send their bodies into your state vet for a necropsy and testing for what disease it is. You could also cull the sick birds, or try to get some antibiotics that treat MG. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline can help treat symptoms of MG, but the disease can be lifelong and symptoms may return. Coryza is better treated with sulfa antibiotics.

Sorry for your loss. This sounds pretty serious if they are dying. Do you notice a rotten odor around the heads of the sick birds? MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum) or coryza might be possible. A bad odor would point more to coryza or a compication from E.coli bacteria. How many birds do you have in your flock? What state are you located? If you lose another bird or two, you might want to send their bodies into your state vet for a necropsy and testing for what disease it is. You could also cull the sick birds, or try to get some antibiotics that treat MG. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline can help treat symptoms of MG, but the disease can be lifelong and symptoms may return. Coryza is better treated with sulfa antibiotics.
I think there’s a rotting smell.
I have 93 birds
I’m located in Alberta Canada
I’m hoping to send one or two birds in for testing once the vet opens on Monday

Last edited:
Please let us know if the vet has any thoughts. The vet might try sulfadimethoxine or Bactrim for treating coryza, but coryza is more serious than MG. I personally would cull sick birds if it was coryza.

I don’t see any pictures. I believe there is a poultry lab in Alberta that does animal necropsies.

I lost another 3 birds overnight and only have one more bird that is showing mild symptoms.
Gonna see if I can get an appointment with the vet today

Back
Top Bottom