HELP !! - reversing shrink-wrap?

spencereb

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
Tennessee
First incubation in years...I did lots of reading...still have a problem here. Friday night two pipped & hatched within about an hour of each other. But, about eight with no signs of pips. So, I've just cracked into the air pocket at the large end. Six are expired, shrunk way down with big air pocket. Here are my questions. Two are alive and have pipped the inside air pocket, but appear to be dehydrated or "shrink-wrapped"? Is this what's happening? How can I usher these last two along without injuring those tiny blood vessels?

Any quick responses are really appreciated.

Thanks,
-Spence

While waiting for responses, I went ahead and cleared the shell that used to cover the large air pocket. Fortunately, I have so far not injured any of the blood vessels. Just the beak is peaking through. Both chicks are alive, breathing, wiggling, but seem to be stuck in their progress. I finger dipped a few droplets of warm water around the edges, away from the breathing beaks, then stuck them back in the bator. Anything suggestions? Also, this is day 22.
-Spence

Last edited:
Hi,

There is a good article on the chicken chick's website. I used it to help out my chicks last month. I followed her instructions pretty much. I unpeeled the egg around the beak, wetting the membrane with warm water. If the membrane bled when peeled, I stopped and tried again two hours later. I kept parts that did not have hard shell around them wrapped in a damp, warm paper towel. Then basically it is peel, wrap in towel, let it rest. The idea seems to be to help as little as possible, but enough that the chick can get out. I think it's called 'assisted hatching'. Google that and you will find much more detailed information. It took about six to 8 hours to help out the three chicks of ours who were position wrong or whatever. I also suggest ignoring all the let-em-die-ers. Not sure why, but those folks strike me as fairly self-righteous in their opinion. No way am I going to let a little creature pay the ultimate price for my lousy incubation abilities, or lack thereof.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response Mamma, it sound like I'm at least started in the right direction, and the night is young! I'll search out that site after I go now to wrap the shell in moist paper towels. While I'm doing all that...how did yours turn out? I'm with you in ignoring the let'em die'ers, I'll not give up until after they give up. Thanks again.
-Spence

Hi,

So sorry to hear about your lost babies. I cried over the one that pipped internally on the side of the shell and then wasn't angled well enough to pip externally. Once I realized that those chicks were in the wrong position, I started looking for beaks. I save two others that were in the same position, but it sure was a nerve-wracking weekend! Both those babies are now 6 weeks old. I think the humidity was too high and that why they were angled wrong.

We have 9 more about to hatch in my daughter's classroom (we have a hatch-along started if you want to watch). We did a 'dry hatch' on this one. However, today is Day 21 and no pips, so here we go again! Hoping that all nine make it out in the next day or two, but would be happy with 7. The class voted on the help-them or let-them-die issue, and decided that we all are ready to help any of them who need it.

Best wishes for your next hatch!

Mammachix

Hey thanks Mamma for your input. I really hated to lose them when I know that there is something more out there that I could have done differently, knowing that that was my fault, yet, not sure exactly, still, how to correct my errors. 20 % hatch rate, another 20 % close, the other six, completely developed, but never made internal pip...pretty shabby. The good news..our first two are off and running, literally! They pipped right on que, jumped out (sorta), dried off, started pecking and haven't let up since...bright eyed and well...fluffy tailed!

Anyway, I truly hope your 9 can be completely rewarding, especially so, with so much anticipation awaiting from the perimeter, if ya know what I mean. Be prepared, however, for some degree of disappointment, as 100 % successful clutches are rare. At least some simply fail to thrive, on occasion...nature's way, I suppose. I love your student's vote results, and I think it speaks volumes about their character. What age group are you dealing with, if I may ask?

Lastly, how do I tap into the "hatch-along"? I would definitely find that interesting.

Thanks again,
-Spence

Hey thanks Mamma for your input. I really hated to lose them when I know that there is something more out there that I could have done differently, knowing that that was my fault, yet, not sure exactly, still, how to correct my errors. 20 % hatch rate, another 20 % close, the other six, completely developed, but never made internal pip...pretty shabby. The good news..our first two are off and running, literally! They pipped right on que, jumped out (sorta), dried off, started pecking and haven't let up since...bright eyed and well...fluffy tailed!

Anyway, I truly hope your 9 can be completely rewarding, especially so, with so much anticipation awaiting from the perimeter, if ya know what I mean. Be prepared, however, for some degree of disappointment, as 100 % successful clutches are rare. At least some simply fail to thrive, on occasion...nature's way, I suppose. I love your student's vote results, and I think it speaks volumes about their character. What age group are you dealing with, if I may ask?

Lastly, how do I tap into the "hatch-along"? I would definitely find that interesting.

Thanks again,
-Spence

November/December "Hatch-a-Long"
started by matt1jsh (9/15/13 at 6:06am) Hope this works....located directly below the incubation thread............it's fun.join us

Whoa! Found it...
248 pages / 7 weeks.
I'll keep my eye on this & try to catch up!

Thanks chickydee,
-Spence

I've helped a lot of chicks out of the shell because I raise araucanas and they are hard to breed and have thick shells that are hard to get out of. Most of the time they die later anyways due to some unknown cause. As long as you kept the temp and humidity right you did all that was necessary, they just weren't ment to be. Most likely would have died later anyways.
Don't feel bad just enjoy the one that did hatch.:D

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom