Help rid yard of fleas.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by holliewould, Dec 26, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I'm not sure what to do with my yard. It's so flea infested and my new puppy is miserable. She's been on Revolution which has been a complete waste of 80 dollars. I have to soak her in water and pick fleas off every night. I have to do something with my yard but I don't know what. I used Sevin to no avail. I have tons of plants and chickens that I don't want harmed. Any advice?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I know that fleas are adverse to things like lavender plants. Have you tried google?

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hi, the best thing that I know of for flea control, ticks and other insects are guinias! I suggest about half a dozen of them!

4. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    You could try parasitic nematodes. They are thread-like worms that are sprayed into the ground in spring. They devour flea larvae.

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2779

This is one company that sells them. I buy both the flea nematodes and the ones the grub-away nematodes and they seem to do a pretty good job keeping fleas down.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    DE - all over.

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Ducks are awsome for flea patrol.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Guineas and muscovy ducks.

8. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Well I can't have ducks or guineas. I wish. My sons little ankles got chewed up. I hated to do it but I engaged in a chemical war. Chickens will have to stay in there coop for a day or two. I probably won't eat any of their eggs for a few days. I've never seen an infestation like this before. I couldn't wait for DE. I just hope the birds aren't affected by the chemical.

9. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Use Sevin Dust for the lawn and try sprinkling a little garlic on the pups food. Fleas don't like the garlic and I checked with my vet to make sure its safe for dogs and he said it's fine. I wouldn't over do it though. I just tend to be conservative with things like that. I always add some garlic to my home made dog food. Been doing it for years. Dogs are fine and healthy.

Good Luck,

Mary

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Didn't give folks much chance to answer or get another idea. You should have just done your chemical war this morning and be done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by