Help!!! RIR & Barred Rock

Your RIR looks like a pullet, but I am unsure about the barred Rock. How old are they? The only thing that makes me question it is the amount of white. Pullets are usually quite dark. The legs have the black wash and the comb is pale and not over large, both being pullet traits, but need to know the age.

So glad about the RIR, it was starting to get some shiny "wet" looking feathers so I was worried. The Barred Rock is only 2 months old. I thought its comb was pretty large for its age =/

So glad about the RIR, it was starting to get some shiny "wet" looking feathers so I was worried. The Barred Rock is only 2 months old. I thought its comb was pretty large for its age =/
I think a big red comb would be present long before any shiny hackle feathers show up. Some of my pullets have very pretty shiny feathers, but not thin and pointed like the roos.

At two months, the BR comb is pale, even though it is a bit larger than normal. If it's a hatchery bird, they will show more variation. It still looks a bit light to me, but overall, I think it's a pullet. We'll see what other folks think.

Oh, forgot to tell you
welcome-byc.gif
!

Boy I sure do hope so, its my first time having chickens!! I love them, but dont want a rooster because I heard they were mean, especially RIR's =/ Hes so funny though, I hold out my arm and he flies right onto it, they are so smart!! And the little one when he runs is so funny, now I know the meaning of "chicken legs"!! Thank you for the welcome :)

Your BR looks just like mine did at that age, I thought for sure I had a boy, but they are all pullets. Your RIR would have a much bigger comb and wattles by now if she were a he. Your EE's also look like my EE girls.

Boy I sure do hope so, its my first time having chickens!! I love them, but dont want a rooster because I heard they were mean, especially RIR's =/ Hes so funny though, I hold out my arm and he flies right onto it, they are so smart!! And the little one when he runs is so funny, now I know the meaning of "chicken legs"!! Thank you for the welcome :)

Looks likes the votes are all pullet for your BR.
yesss.gif
Not all roosters are mean, but it is a concern. One of my 2 sexed EE chicks turned out to be a cockerel. Wasn't mean, but the crowing was too much. He started in at 4 am with updates every half hour! We found him a new home and are catching up on our sleep now.
big_smile.png
I have 9 pullets, all a different breed, and the BR is by far the most friendly and calm too. You have to watch where you walk in the chicken yard, because she is always right near and under foot.

Also, there are threads for California folks and probably for S.CA in particular, so you might be able to get to know chicken folks near you.

Last edited:
hehehe, thank you all!! Nicole love the pic of yours, you are right, shiny feathers! I was so happy to see that!! philbfarm, thank you for the pics as well, yes I was hoping the BR's was bigger due to its breed. Wishing4Wings, I love my little BR, it snuggles!!!! Its something to catch though. I was wondering if there was an easier way to get them to come to you, besides food, thats the easiest :) As soon as I bend down to pick them up, they scatter, they know they are either going inside or outside, hehe!

Back
Top Bottom