Help- RIR walking sideways and backwards

Four Girls

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
I have a RIR that is a little over a year old. She has recently developed a sideways and backwards walk, sometimes walking in complete circles. She looks drunk as a monkey. The symptoms come and go with intensity. She is eating okay.

History:
The girls free range about an hour or two every day. The receive fresh water every day. They are given layer pellets, available all day. Scratch every morning with carrots, spinach, garlic powder, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds (they are kind of spoiled)

Appearance:
Feathers look great, Comb is perky and red/pink, Wings are up (not dropping), she is not moulting (two of my other girls are moulting), Egg production is normal (4-6/week), no weight loss,

When she walks backwards or sideways, she kind of turns her head in that direction. Sometimes she walks in circles.

Housing:
Cleaned weekly to biweekly

Run:
Run litter has leaves, straw, grass clippings, veggie scraps

Help, I don't know what is happening. I don't want her condition to get any worse!

It sounds like your chook should be in great health! It sounds like she's not suffering. I'm going to watch this space and see if someone has a good answer.

Back
Top Bottom