Help!!! Roo or hen?

kerinichol

Hatching
Mar 23, 2015
Independence MO
Very new to chickens. Bought this as a pullet but it sounds like it's trying to crow. About 3 months old...

Last edited:
looks like a hen to me. i don't see saddle feathers

For clarity's sake - there are, in fact, saddle feathers clearly visible on this bird....gender difference is not about the presence or lack of saddle feathers, it is about the structure of the saddle feathers. Pullets/hens and cockerels/roosters all have saddle feathers, the difference is that on females the feathers on the saddle area of the body are short, round and structured like the rest of the body feathers - on males they are long, flowing, pointed....think "Fabio".

For clarity's sake - there are, in fact, saddle feathers clearly visible on this bird....gender difference is not about the presence or lack of saddle feathers, it is about the structure of the saddle feathers. Pullets/hens and cockerels/roosters all have saddle feathers, the difference is that on females the feathers on the saddle area of the body are short, round and structured like the rest of the body feathers - on males they are long, flowing, pointed....think "Fabio".
x2 That's why I specified 'male' saddle feathers. They are really hard to miss, once they start coming in.

Back
Top Bottom