HELP! Roos crow ALL day long--my neighbors are threatening action

heatheramack

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
New Orleans, LA
I thought I was getting 3 pet hens, but it turns out they're roos. By the time I found out, I was already really attached. I live in a compact neighborhood and the neighbors recently complained about the crowing because it was so early. Last week, we moved the coop into the garage and now the sound is muffled and we let them out at 9am. Seems like all is well, right?
WRONG! Now they crow ALL DAY LONG without stopping. The solution to one problem has created another major one. The neighbors are angry and want something done.

Is this a phase? What can I do to get them back to just crowing in the morning? The neighbors would tolerate it if it just went on for a little while, but even I can hardly think straight anymore.

Please help! I don't want to have to get rid of them, but our zoning laws don't permit roos and the only way I can keep them is if the neighbors can be appeased.

Please help.

That is too bad about the zoning laws where you live. I hope someone here has an answer for you too. I think it may be because you have too many roos. Any hens? If so, then they are probably about to start fighting for their territory...

sorry, it is not a phase. I can hear mine all day long but..........I live in the middle of 82 acres, my friend, you will have to find new homes for them. Next time go to a hatchery and ask for pullets. So sorry, it is hard when you get attached but rather find them homes then to be the wrath of the neighborhood. If you get hens then you can always gain back the neighbor's friendship with eggs in the future. No point in angering them further as they probably can take action. Even if they can't why antagonize them? You will be happier with pullets, I promise.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
You have too many roosters. The crowing will probably not stop and they will soon begin fighting. If you can separate them into different pens, that might help with the fighting at least. The only other thing you can do is to find them a good home.

Edited to Add: If you decide to give the roosters away (or sell them), try posting a thread here on BYC. Someone in your area may have room for them.

Last edited:
You will have to re-home, there just isn't anything else you can do. You simply can't fight thousands and thousands of years of evolution, ie: crowing. I would recommend getting sex-link babies, red-stars (Golden Comets) or black-star chickies. They are fairly quiet, tend to have wonderful dispositions, and you can tell for sure at hatching whether they are male or female.

I agree with all the above posts. Roosters crow... that's what they do and having three means they are in competition with each other.

It's so hard when you are attached, we really do understand that dilemma but they aren't going to stop and keeping your neighbors happy is, in my opinion, more important than keeping the roosters.

I agree that you should get some chicks that are color sexed at birth - that way you won't have to go through the loss of favorite chickens again.

I'm sorry about this situation... it's hard. Good luck.

Choose your favorite boy and get rid of the other 2. Then get a few girls. The crowing should be less frequent but there is no guarantee. Sounds like someone needs to move to the country.
big_smile.png

ETA: You do not have to get sex linked chicks. Many hatcheries sell different breeds sexed so you can order girls. Try Ideal Poultry .

Last edited:
I'm so very, very sorry about your predicament, because I was just recently in the same one. We didn't really have a problem with the crowing, because we live in the country, but we did end up with 3 roosters and only 1 hen, and that was not a good combination. After weeks and weeks of constantly searching for new homes for 2 of my "boys", I ended up giving in and trading them to a lady in the country for some young pullets. I didn't have the heart to ask her, what she was going to do with them, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that question:(
I'd rather not ever have to go through that again, and all I can tell you, is, try your best to find them homes. Put an ad on BYC, and another one on Craigslist, and hopefully you'll get lucky and find someone who will want them as pets. Oh, make sure you take a really cute picture of them, and attach it to your post.
Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom