Help. Rooster attacking other rooster at 7 weeks.

The nice one has been crowing since he was 4 weeks old. But I have never seen him ever even try to hurt anyone.
makes sense in the absence of older males. He'll start to be thinking about mating when he's bigger, comb and wattles will grow, and redden, and he'll probably make clumsy grabs for hens. If he is with older hens before that, they'll sort him out. :D

Can you add clutter to the run placed in such a way as to break up line of sight. Suggestions: 2 ft high fat stump; a plastic chair (bring your own cushion);over turned flower pot; run roosts at various heights all offer escape; maybe an old wooden ladder (sanded) if you can find one.
I would def add a second waterer and feeder-hanging so that birds lower in rank can eat/drink at chest level while keeping watch against ambush.
Here’s a few pics of my 8x24 run with clutter. There’s an integration run to the left for chicks that leads to a brooder in the coop. ATM all is open access is open as my ten 6 wk olds are able to cohabitate with the six 2 yr olds. I have at least 2 cockerels in this bunch.
Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpeg
    IMG_4446.jpeg
    855.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5046.jpeg
    IMG_5046.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3356.jpeg
    IMG_3356.jpeg
    837.5 KB · Views: 4
Can you add clutter to the run placed in such a way as to break up line of sight. Suggestions: 2 ft high fat stump; a plastic chair (bring your own cushion);over turned flower pot; run roosts at various heights all offer escape; maybe an old wooden ladder (sanded) if you can find one.
I would def add a second waterer and feeder-hanging so that birds lower in rank can eat/drink at chest level while keeping watch against ambush.
Here’s a few pics of my 8x24 run with clutter. There’s an integration run to the left for chicks that leads to a brooder in the coop. ATM all is open access is open as my ten 6 wk olds are able to cohabitate with the six 2 yr olds. I have at least 2 cockerels in this bunch.
Good luck.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! 😊

And I am giving away a rooster to a friend that already has older hens, and so, does anyone have a recommendation for a video on how to integrate a younger rooster in with an older flock? I would love your recommendations, Thanks😊

Last edited:
And I am giving away a rooster to a friend that already has older hens, and so, does anyone have a recommendation for a video on how to integrate a younger rooster in with an older flock? I would love your recommendations, Thanks😊
This is a common discussion topic. There’s lots of integration methods. I copied the link to an older article that covers a lot of basic things to consider- link HERE
For more info use the advanced search tool to find threads, articles, etc. that best fit your situation. I used the search term “integration”.

Reference link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-integrate-your-chicken-flock-the-easy-way.63034/

Good luck.
I went with your advice and added clutter, does this look good? Is it too much?, or not enough?
IMG_1123.jpeg
IMG_1124.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom