HELP! Rooster crowing constantly, i live in an urban area!

PoppySeedy

Chirping
May 14, 2021
This only just started happening recently and we think its because I saved his life on Sunday after he choked. But basically every time im not in my roosers sight he crows constantly, and when I go back into his line of sight, whether its sitting in my conservatory where he can see me through the windows or if I sit outside with him. He stops crowing. How can i teach this behaviour out of him? I live in an urban area so his crowing (without a collar) is probably disturbing the neighbours- and my family would also like their quiet evenings back-

This only just started happening recently and we think its because I saved his life on Sunday after he choked. But basically every time im not in my roosers sight he crows constantly, and when I go back into his line of sight, whether its sitting in my conservatory where he can see me through the windows or if I sit outside with him. He stops crowing. How can i teach this behaviour out of him? I live in an urban area so his crowing (without a collar) is probably disturbing the neighbours- and my family would also like their quiet evenings back-
Additionally he also attacks me a lot,, its becoming a dammed if I do dammed if I don't situation-

This only just started happening recently and we think its because I saved his life on Sunday after he choked. But basically it started as him only crowing every time im not in my roosers sight, and when I went back into his line of sight, he would stop crowing. But now he's started doing it constantly all day, like every 5 minutes he starts up again. I don't have a rooster collar on him as I want his throat to recover and I think its cruel, but if he keeps going on like he is we might have to. He also isn't eating much at the moment, idk how to encourage him to eat the pellets, all he seems to be interested in rn is mixed corn. I have asked a farmer I know if she'd be willing to take him, but that might be for a little while as she doesnt have any chickens herself- what can I do? Idk why he's crowing so much as its really unusual of him so be doing so?

This only just started happening recently and we think its because I saved his life on Sunday after he choked. But basically it started as him only crowing every time im not in my roosers sight, and when I went back into his line of sight, he would stop crowing. But now he's started doing it constantly all day, like every 5 minutes he starts up again. I don't have a rooster collar on him as I want his throat to recover and I think its cruel, but if he keeps going on like he is we might have to. He also isn't eating much at the moment, idk how to encourage him to eat the pellets, all he seems to be interested in rn is mixed corn. I have asked a farmer I know if she'd be willing to take him, but that might be for a little while as she doesnt have any chickens herself- what can I do? Idk why he's crowing so much as its really unusual of him so be doing so?
Since he was deprived of his natural way of communication due to the collar you previously had on him, he now makes up for it and lets every hen and rooster in the neighbourhood know, that this is his territory.

I would consider it as normal, as cockerels/roosters that come to live at a new place, start crowing nonstop for the first few days to announce their arrival and to encourage others in the neigbourhood to signal their locations as well.

Roosters crow. My mature Iowa Blue likes to start before 4 a.m. Every. Single. Day.

And, Sir Henry the Loud will also crow throughout the day. My baby Cochin Bantam roos are beginning to exercise their vocal cords all day, too.

If the choice is a rooster collar -- which prevents him from doing what roosters naturally do -- or rehoming him, I would choose a new home for the boy.

And, maybe it's just a brief phase that he will move through and return to his old self.

I can't explain his reluctance to eat pellets, maybe he would do better with crumbles? Maybe his throat is still a little sensitive?

I hope everything works out for both of you.

I would start advertising him for rehoming. It is never fair to put a collar on a rooster to quiet him because you are not permitted to have a rooster where you are. The best thing for him, you and your neighbors is to find him a new home. Quickly. Don't wait on the person you know who has a farm but isn't ready for chickens yet. Advertise him for $5 on CL and join a few local/regional FB Poultry groups and advertise him there. I've successfully rehomed 9 boys using CL and FB.

Since he was deprived of his natural way of communication due to the collar you previously had on him, he now makes up for it and lets every hen and rooster in the neighbourhood know, that this is his territory.

I would consider it as normal, as cockerels/roosters that come to live at a new place, start crowing nonstop for the first few days to announce their arrival and to encourage others in the neigbourhood to signal their locations as well.
Thing is there are no other roosters here? Its been a few days now he's been noisy. Usually he used to only do mornings, whenever we got home (he can hear the cars) and in the evening at dinner. But now its constant?
Roosters crow. My mature Iowa Blue likes to start before 4 a.m. Every. Single. Day.

And, Sir Henry the Loud will also crow throughout the day. My baby Cochin Bantam roos are beginning to exercise their vocal cords all day, too.

If the choice is a rooster collar -- which prevents him from doing what roosters naturally do -- or rehoming him, I would choose a new home for the boy.

And, maybe it's just a brief phase that he will move through and return to his old self.

I can't explain his reluctance to eat pellets, maybe he would do better with crumbles? Maybe his throat is still a little sensitive?

I hope everything works out for both of you.
We had him on crumbles but we're pretty sure that's a big reason to why he choked, since he used to gorge them in massive bites. I think it blocked his throat-

I would start advertising him for rehoming. It is never fair to put a collar on a rooster to quiet him because you are not permitted to have a rooster where you are. The best thing for him, you and your neighbors is to find him a new home. Quickly. Don't wait on the person you know who has a farm but isn't ready for chickens yet. Advertise him for $5 on CL and join a few local/regional FB Poultry groups and advertise him there. I've successfully rehomed 9 boys using CL and FB.
I live in the UK so I don't think those websites will work, thing is we dobt want him to go to just anyone since we do love our boy and want to be able to visit him frequently-

I live in the UK so I don't think those websites will work, thing is we dobt want him to go to just anyone since we do love our boy and want to be able to visit him frequently-
You must have social platforms similar to Craigslist and FaceBook that have poultry groups. That is what I'm suggesting.
Every one of my boys went on to be flock leaders. Two of the people who took them communicate with me to this day and send pictures of the boys! They LOVE them and I'm thrilled that they are living out wonderful lives with their own flocks of hens. And all the while they can crow to their hearts content and no one is upset about it. That is what you really want for him if you love him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom