HELP! Rooster feed swollen and red

taebotoni

Hatching
Dec 30, 2020
Hi all...i am at a loss. we rescued 12 chickens from someone loosing their home and i am at a loss. my roosters feet have become hugely swollen and red....missing scales. I have tried treating him nightly with mite spray for weeks with no change. I made sure to add DE and change their bedding in their coop weekly as well as spraying all corners and roosts with the mite spray as well. then i changed their feed thinking maybe gout. nothing seems to help. Its both feet and the back side of his feet and legs are very red but no sign of bumble foot. These were the best pics i could get as he is still getting used to us and a new home. the only time i can spray him is in the middle of the night while hes really sleepy but if i handle him too much even at night he starts to scream like im killing him. any ideas???

Attachments

• 20201111_133742.jpg
    20201111_133742.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201111_133748.jpg
    20201111_133748.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201111_133752.jpg
    20201111_133752.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi all...i am at a loss. we rescued 12 chickens from someone loosing their home and i am at a loss. my roosters feet have become hugely swollen and red....missing scales. I have tried treating him nightly with mite spray for weeks with no change. I made sure to add DE and change their bedding in their coop weekly as well as spraying all corners and roosts with the mite spray as well. then i changed their feed thinking maybe gout. nothing seems to help. Its both feet and the back side of his feet and legs are very red but no sign of bumble foot. These were the best pics i could get as he is still getting used to us and a new home. the only time i can spray him is in the middle of the night while hes really sleepy but if i handle him too much even at night he starts to scream like im killing him. any ideas???
Check the bottoms of his feet, he may have bumblefoot?

He also appears to have Scaly leg mites.

Yes I was going to weigh in with my opinion thinking also scaly leg mites. Very contagious so yuck. The best thing to do would be to give him some ivermectin. You can get online from premier one or most of those places or maybe at your feed store even Amazon has. Check the prices as the brand is very expensive and I can’t remember which is the brand and which is the generic you can Google it. I think the dose would be .05 for a 6 pound bird. Remember not .5. It must be .05 or you will overdose him. Or .07 if he weighs more than 5 pounds.While you were waiting to get that you can coat his feet and legs with Vaseline at smothers them but the ivermectin will really get rid of it

Check the bottoms of his feet, he may have bumblefoot?

He also appears to have Scaly leg mites.
My first thought was bumble foot but he does not have any 'bumble' on either foot. I have been treating for leg mites with no success for a few months. someone earlier posted about skald...and he does not like to get up in the roost, preferring to lay on the bedding at night...so maybe all i need to air out the coop (we are in washington state and its always pretty wet here)

after looking at this link...skald might actually be the answer (and why treating for leg mites has done nothing). He lays on the floor of the coop and we have had a few months of very wet weather. i think i will try opening up the coop more even though its cold when i let them out in the morning and adding extra layers to the area he likes to sleep in every morning. thank you for this! its driving me crazy because he is such a good boy!

Yes I was going to weigh in with my opinion thinking also scaly leg mites. Very contagious so yuck. The best thing to do would be to give him some ivermectin. You can get online from premier one or most of those places or maybe at your feed store even Amazon has. Check the prices as the brand is very expensive and I can’t remember which is the brand and which is the generic you can Google it. I think the dose would be .05 for a 6 pound bird. Remember not .5. It must be .05 or you will overdose him. Or .07 if he weighs more than 5 pounds.While you were waiting to get that you can coat his feet and legs with Vaseline at smothers them but the ivermectin will really get rid of it
im going to try the vaseline again but also try to see if skald is the answer to his riddle. thanks so much!

My first thought was bumble foot but he does not have any 'bumble' on either foot. I have been treating for leg mites with no success for a few months. someone earlier posted about skald...and he does not like to get up in the roost, preferring to lay on the bedding at night...so maybe all i need to air out the coop (we are in washington state and its always pretty wet here)
Never heard of Skald.

Another thought I had was gout swelling.

Never heard of Skald.

Another thought I had was gout swelling.
Yes...i thought gout too so i changed their food to a full flock type instead of layer. still no change. I realize some gout is not curable so i guess i have to eliminate all other options and do what i can diet wise. skald seems to be the only thing i have not treated for so i am going in the coop daily to clean fluff and add pine shavings to where he likes to lay at night. *sigh* just keep swimming right?

Back
Top Bottom