Help: rooster feeling sick

mav5140

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
Last night as I was putting the ducks away, I saw the rooster next to the pond and then he just dove in :eek:. grabed him out the water, He is on quarantine now, made some electrolyte drink and scambled eggs and scratch mix. Got 4 females and him. got some little chicks now (8). I try to place drops of water on his beak so he seems to drink it. not sure if I need to get some antibiotics. my only option is tractor supply and online ordering if they don't require prescriptions.
They area all free range in my yard. The stools this morning is observed to be watery white and green. comb is not vibrant, his about 4-5 months old, breathing seems ok, he is not gasping

Attachments

• IMG_4288[1].JPG
    IMG_4288[1].JPG
    607.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4290[1].JPG
    IMG_4290[1].JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 8
it was dark, but I do not know why he didn't roost with the rest of the flock, I saw him on walking next to the small pond and he just went to the edge and dove .... no panic, I just reached and grab him placed him on the roost while I went to get a towel, no fight, I guess because he isnot feeling good. He is in the garage, feeding him the yolk mixture and electolytes every hour at least since he woke up. not spunky at all, looks like he is depress.

update: got some VetRx and Nutri Drench poultry Nutrition, I have been forcing him to drink it on him last night and this morning, then the Vet Rx, gave it to him orally and rub som on his feathers and place it on .. aerosol. so far I know he still is not eating. antiobiotic is hard to obtain... thinking of combining garlic and oregano, mash them and try to feed it to him... any opinion

Aww... I'm so sorry for your loss... Did you find out what happened? He was still so young...

All your other chickens still fine?
so far I have not seen any issues with the other chickens.. It's one of those things that I am learning. one thing alos I have learning after talking to people, one jamaican lady said that you know growing up I remember we find chicken on the pond dead, and we never knew what happend to them.. realizing this, just like some animals when they know that they are sick, they actually isolate themselves, or the group kills them with intent to make sure that the rest of their species survives. facinating what we learn from animals.

Back
Top Bottom