Help...Rooster getting henpecked - bald & sore spots...

Coop Keeper

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My hens (18) have been pecking the feathers from my one and only pet rooster. He's got bald spots around his neck, rump and tail, the skin has sores and very red and irritated.

Why are they doing this and what can I do to make them stop?

I've searched the forum and have come up with threads relating to hens pecking at hens because of low protein in their diet or boredom but can't find anything on hens pecking the rooster.

I currently have him in a crate in the basement waiting for his feathers to come back in. It's too cold to keep Ozzie outside in his condition.

Please help.

Poor rooster. Is he younger than the hens? Sometimes older hens reject a rooster until he is fully mature. But once there are bare spots, that is temptation enough to keep pecking. Let his feathers grow in some until spring comes to Alberta like you are doing. If you can figure out a way to divide the coop so that they can see him but not peck him, it would help with reintroduction into the flock. Some people reintroduce the chicken in a dog kennel within the coop, if they can't find a way to divide the area with something like chicken wire.
Putting Blu Kote on any bare spots that show through the feathers could prevent the temptation to peck. The blue dye covers the red that acts as pecking trigger.

Yes Ozzie is a little younger than the hens. Thanks scratch'n'peck I had no idea why they were being so brutal, I'll reintroduce him in a separate pen when it warms up and pick up some Blu Cote. Cheers, Lorri
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom