HELP- Rooster has Fallen and he cant get up

Dixiechick41

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
I have been trying to treat holistically for the lice with garlic three times a week,1 tbsp to 2L of apple cider vinegar in their water, and a touch of cayenne pepper occasionally. I thought we were having sucess until, I found my rooster unable to stand and shaking his head constantly.
After finding him we did a Ivamec 2 drops to the neck and dusted the coop we separated the roo and brought him into a cage in the warm garage, We began dropper feeding him water, and once that looked promising we dropper fed him fruit. The next day I cooked him lentils and he ate them all. However there is no improvement in his head shaking or being able to stand.
Does this sound like Mareks? Has anyone had experience with these symptoms?

I have been trying to treat holistically for the lice with garlic three times a week,1 tbsp to 2L of apple cider vinegar in their water, and a touch of cayenne pepper occasionally. I thought we were having sucess until, I found my rooster unable to stand and shaking his head constantly.
After finding him we did a Ivamec 2 drops to the neck and dusted the coop we separated the roo and brought him into a cage in the warm garage, We began dropper feeding him water, and once that looked promising we dropper fed him fruit. The next day I cooked him lentils and he ate them all. However there is no improvement in his head shaking or being able to stand.
Does this sound like Mareks? Has anyone had experience with these symptoms?

Ivomec wont kill chicken lice, but sevin dust will. Worm him with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Mix buttermilk in with his chicken feed. Stop feeding him all that other stuff, it's not going to save him.

Thank you for your advice, we cant get Sevin here anymore, it has been banned. have you tried ivermectin?

Thank you for your advice, we cant get Sevin here anymore, it has been banned. have you tried ivermectin?

Ivermectin is an ivomec product. Yes, I've used it years ago as a wormer and it is ineffective. Ivomec products including ivermectin are off label for chickens, are meant for other livestock. The lice that bite and suck blood on cattle and horses are a different species of lice, not the same species as chicken lice. Chicken lice do not bite and suck blood like livestock lice and/or poultry mites. However, if blood is present on the chickens skin from a scratch or injury for example, opportunistic poultry lice will feed off the blood.

Back
Top Bottom