Help! Rooster is being a jerk!

Your roo makes mine look like a perfect gentleman. If mine were doing what yours is doing, he'd be lunch, no questions asked. There's dumb immature jerk and then there's malevolent evil villain and I think you've got the latter.

I've had this same problem. At first I was concerned with trying to change the birds behavior. It never worked. Well, to be honest, it worked great so long as they knew I was around. They would just wait until I was gone and then take the violence up a notch. I came back to dead hens and chicks once too often. Forced submission on a rooster will teach it to respect the person dominating it, or at best all people. There is no way you are going to rewrite their programming to the extent that all your hens will be safe.

My new regimen is to incapacitate them by hobbling until the other birds have all dominated them. That really doesn't seem to take long once the others realise that one of their own is weak, does it? If they get back to seriously wounding or killing the others, and I include denial of food, water or peace as serious, they get eaten. Check my early posts, my poor girls were getting scalped frequently. I don't think roosters are necessary here, and they are certainly plentiful if I should need a new one. I'm still waiting on a "nugget" class rooster, though.

Yes, I've decided it is best to put the Roo in the freezer. My girls are so happy with him gone. I meant my hens are Leghorns.....not pullets....I couldnt think of Leghorns to save my life?
barnie.gif

My buff orphington Rooster and hens all do great together. I dont need another Rooster in the smaller coop, as I dont plan on raising any more Leghorns.
I want to get some "Easter Chickens"......but my order was delayed for so long, that I will have to wait until next spring.
Well.....Saturday.....it's GOODBYE MEAN ROO............!
sad.png

I guess some animals are like people....they just have a nasty dispostion.....! At least you can dress a roo.....not much you can do with a mean spirited human.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom