Help! Rooster poop question

mairivc

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
My little too has been doing droppings like this for like a week. He’s also increased his food intake (and his insistence on eating random stuff from the floor). Could it be intestinal worms?
I hate that I don’t have any vets nearby that I can consult. 😭

Attachments

• 04C74EE0-3672-4850-B960-78AF0BEFB986.jpeg
    04C74EE0-3672-4850-B960-78AF0BEFB986.jpeg
    628.8 KB · Views: 6
How old is he? How does his crop feel now, and is it emptying overnight by the next morning? What is your location? I would consider worming him with albendazole (Valbazen) or fenbendazole (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste or Panacur.) If he is young, I might also consider treating him for coccidiosis with amprollium. Probiotics in his diet may be helpful.

How old is he? How does his crop feel now, and is it emptying overnight by the next morning? What is your location? I would consider worming him with albendazole (Valbazen) or fenbendazole (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste or Panacur.) If he is young, I might also consider treating him for coccidiosis with amprollium. Probiotics in his diet may be helpful.
He’s around 10-11 months I think. His crop is emptying just fine. I tried amprollium for 5 days and didn’t really see too much of an improvement. Do you think I should continue? I have Valbazen. I’ll have to try that then.

More information could help. Is he acting normal other then his appetite? I don't see worms in the poop.
I like this article. It may help you.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
Thanks for the article. He’s acting generally normal. A bit more irritable and pecky than usual. His comb does get a bit darker than usual from time to time. I think he has lost some weight but can’t confirm because he has outgrown the scale that I had.

How is your ventilation ? Combs turning darker can indicate respiratory issues.
He does have respiratory issues. He has a mixture of chronic mycoplasmosis that I treat with Tylosin as needed, and possible chronic aspergillosis, that I tread with medistatin as needed. But symptoms are currently stable. Do you think that has to do with the diarrhea?

Pictures of him , coop would help. Yes that could be part of his problem. If he is starting to ffeel better his appetite will get better. Not sure what random things off the floor is but mine constantly peek and scratch at floor and ground to eat bugs spilt feed ect.

Pictures of him , coop would help. Yes that could be part of his problem. If he is starting to ffeel better his appetite will get better. Not sure what random things off the floor is but mine constantly peek and scratch at floor and ground to eat bugs spilt feed ect.
256C1ACE-25F2-4180-A9B1-EAF0D199D09F.jpeg

This is him. I have him inside the house for now. I take him out daily to a patio for sunbathing and have a little tub for dust bathing. Since he was doing better with breathing I started letting him explore the grass in the backyard. And that’s when the diarrhea started. That’s why I thought it might be parasites.

He looks like he still isn't feeling well. I bet the diarrhea is from his illness.
His beak is way over grown. He needs something abrasive to rub it on, I have stone and bricks in their run. I see them rubbing their beaks on them all the time. It will allow him to pick up his food easier. I would take him out as much as possible. He needs the fresh air and sunlight.
As far as eating things off the floor, chickens taste things to see if it is good to eat and they are searching for food constantly.
You have a handsome fellow there I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom